• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

POLITICAL TRAP: Gillard, Abbott hide from angry protesters (1 Viewer)

SpaceHitler

HSC
They don't have violence in common, that was the point. What was violent about the protests on Australia day? They assembled and they shouted they weren't rioting.
haha the only reason there was no violence perpetrated against the pm was because her army of bodyguards and police literally tackled several people to the ground to prevent them from getting to her (i would call this violence so your theory of 'no violence' is pretty fucked)

i might come off as a bit of a dickhead but that is because riling up cutns who defy logic such as yourself is too fun to pass up

Lentern

HSC
haha the only reason there was no violence perpetrated against the pm was because her army of bodyguards and police literally tackled several people to the ground to prevent them from getting to her (i would call this violence so your theory of 'no violence' is pretty fucked)

i might come off as a bit of a dickhead but that is because riling up cutns who defy logic such as yourself is too fun to pass up
I have scanned countless news reports trying to find any actual mention of violence in these "violent protests", there were no arrests made, no injuries sustained, no litigation resulting from it. As far as any paper has reported all they did was turn up outside the restaurant, shout some stuff, bang on windows (the height of the violence as far as I can see) and approach the PM as she was leaving. The police used force against those approaching the PM however which I don't have a problem with they had no knowing if the protesters had sinister motives but in terms of anyone actually trying to inflict physical harm or damage (which being the heretic I am is more or less my definition of violence) there has been absolutely none reported. I do however note that Mark Colvin of the ABC, Peter Brent and Jack Strochi of the Australian(typically not a pro reconciliation paper) and Phil Coorey from the herald at various points had described the media coverage as a beat up of sorts. Now please if you'd be so kind, some reported violence beyond banging on a window.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
hey guys lets all go to lenterns house (or his local sizzler) and bang on his windows and call him names and surround his car as he's trying to leave and see how he feels about it

no matter how you spin it, this was not a peaceful protest. the police acted appropriately in evacuating the prime minister and lord abbott from the premises. if you think, from those videos, that the police were acting like thugs, it is textbook intimidation tactics for dealing with herds of animals (such as humans)

what is your point lentern

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
hey guys lets all go to lenterns house (or his local sizzler) and bang on his windows and call him names and surround his car as he's trying to leave and see how he feels about it

no matter how you spin it, this was not a peaceful protest. the police acted appropriately in evacuating the prime minister and lord abbott from the premises. if you think, from those videos, that the police were acting like thugs, it is textbook intimidation tactics for dealing with herds of animals (such as humans)

what is your point lentern
Don't verbal me, I said I had no problem with the polices actions. But I do therefore take it that you're saying the most sinister thing they did was bang on windows?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Don't verbal me, I said I had no problem with the polices actions. But I do therefore take it that you're saying the most sinister thing they did was bang on windows?
no one is saying they beat anyone up though, ergo no arrests. however, i doubt arrests that may have been made in other circumstances, or reports of altercations, were made considering the political sensitivity of the situation. you should know that the reasonable apprehension of harm is assault, and is what this situation borders on.

the point still remains that this was not a peaceful protest.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Oh sorry, psychology.

btw I'm still waiting to hear why you thought the overturning of Don't ask don't tell was a joke.
It wasn't much of a political acheivment and I certainly don't think it was much of an acheivement for civil liberties.

Especially in comparison to the bad acts he has supported and the important issues which he has done nothing about.

Lentern

HSC
It wasn't much of a political acheivment and I certainly don't think it was much of an acheivement for civil liberties.

Especially in comparison to the bad acts he has supported and the important issues which he has done nothing about.
How do you define a civil liberty exactly? Something that you want to do?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The burning of the Australian flag was disgusting. A priority for parliament now that it is sitting again should be for both sides of the house to unanimously support legislation making the vandalism of the Australian flag a criminal offense.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The burning of the Australian flag was disgusting. A priority for parliament now that it is sitting again should be for both sides of the house to unanimously support legislation making the vandalism of the Australian flag a criminal offense.
Of all things to make a priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)