Police shoot teenage boy dead in Northcote (1 Viewer)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If someone was coming at me with knives, had been acting erratic, I'd already tried the spray and as they came towards me and I fired warning shots they just kept coming... I would shoot.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Definitely. I'm not sure why everyone is questioning the police. Why aren't questions being asked of the deceased's actions? What person carries two knives in public and generally carries on like a lunatic?

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
can't believe they can even question the police for their actions, thats just stupid. if someone was coming at me slashing knives at me id shoot or blowtorch the cunts face off.

rasengan90

HSC
Everyone is making it out like it was 'shoot first ask questions later'. I think if they sprayed him twice, told him to put them down and shot into the air as a warning he probably should have stopped. Shooting him was the right decision in the circumstances.

08er

HSC
I don't think the police should be questioned regarding their action, it was only logical to shoot someone coming at you with knives with the intention to kill

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Two does of spray failed, he might have been on meth or somethign similar.

The people questioning the police actions would quickly change their mind if THEY had to confront an armed nutcase like him instead of the cops.

The police did the right thing.

:wave:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He was 15. A baby. There's a short interview with a witness on abc news. The woman gave a very moving, compassionate account and expressed outrage that he was killed for what appeared to be an ice-induced episode.

boris

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
He was 15. A baby. There's a short interview with a witness on abc news. The woman gave a very moving, compassionate account and expressed outrage that he was killed for what appeared to be an ice-induced episode.
Yes, but what is your opinion? Police in the right or wrong? (cue medium sized well written speil about there not being a right or wrong about the matter).

Edit: also, why shouldn't the police shoot someone who is in what appears to be an ice induced frenzy, wielding 2 knives and not succumbing to pepper spray? he was obviously a danger to the community.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Yeah if you charge at police (anyone) with knives I believe you should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

15 year old scum steals knives from K-Mart, goes crazy, sets this shit shot out of him.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It has emerged that Tyler joined the "white pride" anti-immigration group Southern Cross Soldiers four months ago.

Members of the Southern Cross Soldiers, who admit having criminals and neo-Nazis in their ranks, are among those who have left tributes on his MySpace page.

OH SHI-! What fuckin scum. Failure of parents (what kind of revolting child joins anti-immigration groups) seek to lay blame elsewhere when it's their own fucking fault.

Good on the police for putting a few bullets in this piece of shit.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
boris said:
Yes, but what is your opinion? Police in the right or wrong? (cue medium sized well written speil about there not being a right or wrong about the matter).

Edit: also, why shouldn't the police shoot someone who is in what appears to be an ice induced frenzy, wielding 2 knives and not succumbing to pepper spray? he was obviously a danger to the community.
I dont really have the knowledge to fault the police on any specific procedure, but it's still an outrage that a 15 y/o who apparently had little control over his actions was shot dead. There's talk of tasers etc, but idk. It's hard to believe that several shots to the chest was all that they could think of after pepper spray

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
It isn't all that they could think of, however after they'd tried all their other options it seems a fairly appropriate response. Honestly until some new fact emerges while it is indeed very sad that he had to be killed I feel the police did the right thing.

boris

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
I dont really have the knowledge to fault the police on any specific procedure, but it's still an outrage that a 15 y/o who apparently had little control over his actions was shot dead. There's talk of tasers etc, but idk. It's hard to believe that several shots to the chest was all that they could think of after pepper spray
I get what you mean. The circumstances are fairly blurry so far, apart from family and friends condemning the police and the police service backing the police involved. Which makes me believe the police, because they dont seem to have much of a problem with prosecuting officers for things like this these days.

Edit: without any other means of restraining/disarming him i see shooting as the next course of action. they have a duty to the public to stop him from hurting anyone or themselves and they had exhausted all their means of stopping him.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah, I mean most of us are appauled at the death sentence, even if it's for multiple rape-murders etc, but this kid didnt actually do anything other than scare a few people.
Police should be trained in fencing. Old-school

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I don't think the police have the right to be judge, jury and executioner... but I do believe they have the right to protect themselves and the public by whatever means is required, while not in excess of this.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I think what is most disturbing is a human being that is so young, only 15 years old, and he was shot at 6-7 times. Picture it in your head and is is a horrible sight...

As much as gresume as it sounds, it was in the police's best efforts to stop any potential harm that this young boy could have caused.

A very sad day for the faimly, who I am sure will not be happy with the police, and so would every other parent in the same situation would feel, but it could have been alot worse than how it has ended..

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
newsdudes said:
Police shoot teenager Tyler Cassidy dead in Northcote, Melbourne

THE family of a 15-year-old shot dead by police at a Melbourne skate park has vowed to fight to find out what happened.

Police said Tyler Cassidy yelled: "Kill me, I'm going to kill you," as officers warned him to put down his weapons and capsicum spray twice failed to subdue him.

"I promise you my darling, I will fight for you as you were taken from me under the most horrific circumstances," the victim's mother Shani said.

"Why was he slayed to death when it was so unnecessary? Four officers were not capable of managing the situation.

"We look forward to a serious and thorough investigation and inquest into why Tyler was killed and to the serious nature of the attending officers' actions."

The youth died after being shot in the chest by three police officers in a skatepark at the All Nations park near the Northcote Plaza Shopping Centre.

Stunned of Brisbane Police today rejected family claims they were "trigger happy" after the teenager's death.

It has emerged that Tyler joined the "white pride" anti-immigration group Southern Cross Soldiers four months ago.

Members of the Southern Cross Soldiers, who admit having criminals and neo-Nazis in their ranks, are among those who have left tributes on his MySpace page.

One of those who knew Tyler, and attests to his violent temper, told the Herald Sun that unless the police shot Tyler, he would have made good on his threat to kill the officer.

"Since he joined the SCS and started hanging out some mates he called 'skinhead mates' he started drinking excessively and getting much more violent," Tyler's former friend said.

"The officers that shot him most definitely had good reason with the way he was and if they didn't do what they did he wouldn't have stopped."

A witness to the shooting, Hariet Stewart, said she heard seven shots fired, the Herald Sun reports.

Police say Tyler had threatened them with kitchen knives stolen from a Kmart store before they were forced to fire.

Ms Stewart, 29, who lives close to the All Nations Park in Northcote where the shooting happened, was walking home from the shops when she saw the teen running around carrying two knives.

“I’m not easily scared and I quickly went into hiding myself, having seen him, but he was just a kid," she said.

“From what I could tell, he looked like he was either incredibly angry or on ice or something.

“I thought perhaps he had a vendetta."

Police have strongly defended their handling of the drama and said they were left with no choice.

“I don’t believe that police are trigger-happy," Assistant Commissioner Tim Cartwright told reporters this morning.

"This is a dreadful tragedy to lose a young man, both for police and the community."

The entire incident took less than three minutes to unfold, but police had done everything possible to avoid his death, he said.

"They've ultimately had no choice," Mr Cartwright said.

He said this morning that a female constable from Preston was among three members who fired their guns. The others were a leading senior constable and a senior constable from Northcote.

Police have refused to say whether the use of Tasers might have saved Mr Cassidy's life, but their union has renewed calls for permission to use the devices.

Mr Cartwright said police followed training that taught them to aim for the "central body mass" of an attacker.

"In the movies you can shoot to disarm people, but that’s not what happens in our experience," he said.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I still don't get your point though Iron. Yes, he may have been under the influence of ice. This made him even more unpredictable, erratic and dangerous, because he had even less regard for his safety or the safety of others.

Under the circumstances, I think the cops had every right to shoot him. I don't know why it should have to take an officer or civilian to get injured before people say 'lol maybe u guys shoulda stopped him'.

Fuck him anyway, sounds like a douche bag.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
"Kill me, I'm going to kill you"

lmfao... yeah they totally should have not shot at someone who's advancing on them, threatening to kill them both vocally and physically, crazed on ice, after trying pepper spray and warning shots.*

*assuming all these facts are accurate.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)