Police Cars (1 Viewer)

2006istheyear

HSC
Hey, ive noticed a couple of times police cars that have a black circular object sticking outside the drivers window....does anybody know what this is??

im guessing its a camera to monitor the speed of other vehicles, but if your speeding, would it take a photo of the car, say if you were travelling in the other direction?!

L45er

Booyakasha
HSC
It's a radar that measures the velocity of oncoming vehicles. If your speeding, they then turn around and chase and pull you over if they fell like it. So if you see a police car with a radar on it, slow down.
Edit: They are only on highway patrol cars ie. SS Commodores or XR8/XR6 Turbo's.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Possibly a light.
Ive had a paddy wagon shine a really bright light on me before from the drivers side.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It is a radar.

The radar is a 'Golden Eagle' - it does not work while the police car is in motion.

Jiga

I thought they stopped using that radar because they had alot of inconsistansies with their accuracy and now only use hand held ones?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Hand held is LIDAR which is a laser based device it can be used in motion.

And no they still use golden eagle

Jiga

Ok

So if you see a police car with a radar on it, slow down.
They can be so sneaky at times, one time when I was on my L's I WOULD have been done in if it wasnt for a change in my usual path. They were parked just after the crest of a hill in a school zone! I had no idea it was school hours (It was only 1 minute into them, quick aernt they!?) and instead of going down the main road they were on like I usually do I entered on a side street further near the crest, so as I was accelerating to 50 I saw them at around 43km/h and then stopped accelerating...... someone then got done it directly after me - SO LUCKY

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
they still work when the coppers car is in motion
2 of my mates have been done,
one was comming the opposite way.
the second the car pulled him up from behind.
both in the SS with the radar on the outside.

an yes coppers also have a fucking bright light as well but thats not it

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
bowman said:
they still work when the coppers car is in motion
2 of my mates have been done,
one was comming the opposite way.
the second the car pulled him up from behind.
both in the SS with the radar on the outside.

an yes coppers also have a fucking bright light as well but thats not it
how would that work?

judging the speed of an oncoming car? i doubt it'd be able to do that. If they turned around and picked them for speeding i'd guess they saw the car was obviously going too fast

HSC
on the note of cop cars

you know how you sometimes see the odd car from incoming traffic 'flash' their lights to let oncomers know there's a copper ahead....is that illegal by any means? i was discussing it with a friend a while ago and it just seemed to pop into my head now.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it's illegal. If the police see you flashing your lights (they aren't stupid), they can pull you over. For the unmarked police patrol cars, (the Commodores) watch out for the bunch of arials on the back (usually 3-4). Usually parked alone on the side of the street.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Flashing your lights counts as a 'distraction to other drivers' and is thus illegal.

The Golden Eagle Radar does NOT pick you up when the police car is in motion. It is however not entirely unknown for an officer to have a LIDAR unit inside the car which does work in motion.

Always ask to see the reading just in case they are going off a guestimate and dont have proof.

Oh and a car without a radar can only do you for speeding if they OVERTAKE you. You can not be done by a non-radar car if they just pull you over. It is however possible for them to do you for neg or reckless driving etc.

Another clue for an unmarked car is that they are slightly lower than stock. Oh and as a warning if you're in canberra its not just unmarked SS and XR8s you need to watch out for they have at least one unmarked GT.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
no the coppers can get u in motion, i've had 2 mates done for it

2006istheyear

HSC
Master Yoda said:
fuck

i sped past a cop car goin down the comenara yesterday at 80 instead of 60 n the cop was going the other way

do they take fotos of ur plates n stuff
is that possible?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
seriously there are enough police cars everywhere these days. i've been fortunate in that i've never been speeding when near them except once recently and i didn't even notice them but they were long gone. lucky me.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
That's the thing telling u to slow down if u see it on-coming...if you're doing an overly high speed, the cop will most likely turn around and ull u over.
It' is a speed radar, and if cop cars don't have that, and they're oncoming and you're speeding, it's probably very unlikely they'll do anything, cause first, they couldn't get ur speed, second, if you're not being a real smart arse in front of the cop, then they prob won't charge u with neg driving...

CieL

HSC
IB6-UB9 said:
Why would flashing your lights be illegal? It would be no more illegal then driving at night with your head lights on....
Usually when you "flash your lights", you'd be using high beam.. and that, like loquasagacious mentioned, is a distraction to others..

i've been in the situation where an oncoming car had their high beam on and i could hardly see the road in front of me anymore..

And also there's some rule in which you're not allowed to use high beam if there's a car 100m oncoming and if you're like.. 50m behind a car or something.. (check figures)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)