Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
SMH said:
Officers to adopt shock tactics

NSW POLICE will be issued with high-tech Taser stun guns to combat violent and volatile criminals and drug addicts.

After a two-year trial, the NSW Government is spending $1 million on 229 new Tasers to give officers in high-risk confrontations the option of using "less than lethal force".

The move - cautiously welcomed by the Police Association - comes 21 months after former police minister Carl Scully predicted a Taser for every one of the state's 15,200 officers.

It follows a successful trial of 50 of the weapons by the state's elite riot squad and Tactical Operations Unit.

It's almost certain to be followed by a widespread roll-out of the weapons, which are loved by the Police Association and loathed by civil libertarians.

The Tasers will be fitted with video cameras to record their use.

Police Minister David Campbell said Tasers would be issued to senior police within a couple of months to "ensure better protection for officers and to reduce avoidable deaths in high-risk situations".

"This is a less-than-lethal option, which can be used by police to subdue dangerous offenders and resolve volatile situations, making the streets safer for NSW families," Mr Campbell said.

"Police are on the frontline dealing with serious offenders every day and the NSW Government has a duty to provide them with the best protection available. The new-model Tasers are fitted with a special video system, which films when the Taser is used.

"The camera-fitted Tasers will protect officers from spurious claims that a weapon was fired inappropriately, while also providing even greater accountability for police.

"I am confident that the strategic roll-out and strict guidelines and training in Taser use will ensure that these weapons provide greater safety for police and the community."

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said 2000 senior police officers would be trained in the safe use of the Taser.

"There has been rigorous assessment of this rollout driven by the NSW Police Safety Command, which conducted a risk review of the extended use of Tasers," he said.

The Police Association welcomed the Taser roll-out but said it did not go far enough.

President Bob Pritchard said every frontline officer needed one.

"I call on the Minister to commit to a far more ambitious roll-out of Tasers - one that gives all frontline officers access to them and training in their use," Mr Pritchard said. "We've campaigned on this issue for years and we're no strangers to the misleading and unhelpful fallacies put forward by Taser opponents.

"Tasers are about giving police a non-lethal option in the most dangerous situations - where human life is at stake.

"The fact too often forgotten in this debate is that Tasers save lives.

"As it stands, police can be faced with the choice of killing, or being killed by an armed assailant.

"Tasers would give police a vital third option."
shocking stuff.

boris

Banned
HSC
haha.
i know some cops.
they totally deserve this, and i hope they tase as many fuckers as possible.
god knows i would.

banco55

HSC
I get the impression that in America some cops have become over reliant on them. Where before they might have relied on good verbal skills to solve a problem now they just tase them.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
True, but remember it's only a select few high-risk cops who will get these.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I suggest those opposing it take a walk and confront a junkie with a blood filled syringe or knife whilst high on ice..

banco55

HSC
Slidey said:
True, but remember it's only a select few high-risk cops who will get these.
The article seems to suggest 2000 cops will get them. Hardly a select few.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I think they're pretty useful in really high risk type situations. Sadly, in America (from what I've heard) they're used willy nilly for any old thing.

So I voted no.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
banco55 said:
no. read.

It says 2000 senior police officers will be trained to use them.

Did you miss the first couple of lines where it says the State goverment will be buying 229 tasers?

banco55

HSC
mr_brightside said:
no. read.

It says 2000 senior police officers will be trained to use them.

Did you miss the first couple of lines where it says the State goverment will be buying 229 tasers?
You think all of those 2000 officers are on "street" duty at any one time?

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
I think they're pretty useful in really high risk type situations. Sadly, in America (from what I've heard) they're used willy nilly for any old thing.

So I voted no.
Yeah, i've read some shocking stories on police (in the US, lol) who have used them on suspects that were innocent, and they had pretty bad side affects.

Anywaaayz, i wish if i can get my hands on one of them, it'll be so fun to play with *zaps everyone *
:p

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
They can be. Some bodies don't take kindly to eleventy jillion volts.

Generally speaking, it probably beats being shot.

And if they've got video cameras on them to make sure they're not waved around willy-nilly, people should (in theory) be careful with them.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
banco55 said:
No, 2,000 will have training for them, but only 2,29 will have them at any one time.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont see the point, frankly, i think pepper/capsicum spray is more effective as a non-lethal alternative. Tasers should only be for confined spaces where spray may not be the best idea e.g. on a plane

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Oh yeah capsicum spray.

That'll do the job pretty well. And it won't kill you.

But how close do you need to be?
How much of a risk is there of shooting yourself in the face?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
The first snake that Samuel L Jackson encountered in snakes on a plane copped a taser to the face and didn't hurt shit after that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)