Poetry? (1 Viewer)

*Gizmo*

HSC
I was wondering if anyone on here did/doing poetry for ext 2.

i'm planning on doing a range of poems which relate to aspects of my life. from childhood to teenage years. But focusing on the major issues one of them being my birthday- which happens to be "the day the world changed" sept 11th

i was wondering if anyone had any tips or work they could let me read!

Thanx!

Saul

*ss
HSC
check out the 'BOS young writers showcase' we got going at the top of these boards

i must recommend huck finn's 'Fusion' - its a realli good collection

*Gizmo*

HSC
thanks! i've been reading them they are excellent! :D i only hope a can manage to do as well as them!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *Gizmo*
I was wondering if anyone on here did/doing poetry for ext 2.

i'm planning on doing a range of poems which relate to aspects of my life. from childhood to teenage years. But focusing on the major issues one of them being my birthday- which happens to be "the day the world changed" sept 11th

i was wondering if anyone had any tips or work they could let me read!

Thanx!
Holy smoke!
Your idea is really common, and I chose to do the same (but I also took Peter Skrzynecki's idea, writing poetry from an 'immigrants' perspective - well, I was writing from an Asian perspective and tried to integrate my influences and life experiences into the poems themselves).

I did poetry (last year, this year) - but focused on what you're now focussing on: "life poetry" as I call it.

The problem, I believe, would be the word limit. Don't feel restricted by it, but be able to manage it.

For example, I had:

5000 words all up, for the entire major work, including reflection statement.

Which left:

1500 words for the reflection statement, due before the trials (August)

The remaining words were spent on my poems, 3500 words.

I had only written about 2000-2500 words, so I was 'under' the word limit (unusual for me), but I feel that I completed it to the best of my ability.

'Change' (English, Area of Study for 2003) had been one of the primary focusses for me, but it's up to you on how you develop your poetry. Just know that you don't have to start at "When I was 5..." and end with "Now that I am 18..."

The poems themselves can be out of sequence, in any order you choose, any theme you choose.

I think your birthday/S11 will be crucial and central to your poems, so you can have a common thread or theme running throughout each poem, how that has shaped you, the affects on you personally, family life, security and generally, "what it means to you".

I'm sorry but I can't show you my major work, because it is very personal and private. But I can help you, if you'd like (just make a new thread, I'll probably read it if I have time to browse Extension 2 forums :))

All the best in the upcoming year, goodluck with your poems. :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah Huy gave you some great advice. I did poetry... and the way I covered up some "personal experiences and feelings" that I didn't want to publically "attach" myself to was to create a persona other than myself. You may want to do this if you are writing really personal stuff but you want others to think it's fiction. As Huy said, creativity is really important. While your idea is quite a common one if you find a fresh approach it will be fantastic. Think about what form of poetry you want to use... using a traditional form such as sonnets perhaps would be both challenging and would show the examiners your grasp of poetic structure. It could also give your collection uniformity. However you may wish to use some of the more contemporary free form/unpunctuated/blank verse/free verse types. My Biology teacher's mantra of relating "structures to functions" is true for poetry too. The structure is not just a way to put the words down but needs to have a place in the whole poem, and a purpose. E.g. in my poetry collection I used haikus ot describe japanese dance. It conveyed the controlled movements because of the strict structure of haiku.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)