Poetic types (1 Viewer)

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I hate forced rhyme, it annoys the hell out of me. I love accidental rhyme, I dont know if anyone knows what i'm talking about but like when you're reading a poem in free verse and you come across a line or two that rhyme and it just enhances the flow and rhythm of the poem?

Serpentia

I hate forced rhyme as well. forced rhyme destroys poetry, it's that simple

I love when I read a piece and discover it rhymes, as in you don't notice it. That's always nice.

And there is more to rhyme than end rhyme. Internal rhyme can work wonders for rhythm and beat, not to mention flow

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
oh god... internal rhyme is heaven. I just go into raptures reading some poetry, im sure thats not normal. I love just the whole lyrical style of poetry, its not rhyme but it just sounds like music and its fantastic to read. Although there is alot to be said for the minimalist styles as well, the whole less is more concept

KarmaKitten

HSC
I experiment with each of my poems. There are not all in free verse, I guess I want to show the markers that I did experiment with the form.
Although I have stayed away from rhyme.

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
I've done a 180 on my original idea....i'm experimenting with old forms of poetry like Palindrome.....in it's early form...

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Originally posted by *Gizmo*
hmm i never thought seriously about doing that....i always had it in my mind but i related it to more childish poems- so you dont think the markers would view it like that?
we if you justified it in your reflection statement as an exploration of how visual structure can aid meaning... i can't see how they could frown on it....

true it does have childish connotations...but when used appropriately i think it could be very effective...

afterall it specifies that the MW must be one or more of the following...

Analytical
imaginative
investigative
interpratative...

and that's definitely imaginative....

There are some clever ones in the "types of poetry" section of www.shadowpoetry.com

that you might wanna check out...

=peaceout=

HSC
go free verse!

if you dont like through a style, then you have to link through a concept or structure.
otherwise you look like you plagiarized bits and pieces.

also the examiners will think you're indecisive, unorganised and you'll have a hell of a lot of explaining to do during your reflection statement...

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
Originally posted by Serpentia
I hate forced rhyme as well. forced rhyme destroys poetry, it's that simple

I love when I read a piece and discover it rhymes, as in you don't notice it. That's always nice.

And there is more to rhyme than end rhyme. Internal rhyme can work wonders for rhythm and beat, not to mention flow
I used to share your view.

-and still do if your talking of the forced rhyme that goes like this:

i went to town one day - and fell into some hay - i thought that i should stay - because i didn't have to pay...

that sort of rhyme is utterly abhorrant and should not be taken seriously unless it is used for comic purposes or to entertain small children...(in my opinion anyway)

but I have come to respect the more intelligent application of rhyme as an important poetic technique (when used aptly).

HSC
rhyme is a great thing... it doesn't destroy poetry!

forced rhyme is useful for atmosphere, structural purposes or even humour...

HSC
err... i have to disagree with you...

no real purpose to milton or shakespeare's rhyming poetry...

SeNioRiTa

i luuurv to rhyme

i dont know why everyone hates forced rhyme. i personally like reading poetry that rhymes. i feel it gives a quirkyness and certain rythm and flow that is simple irresistable...well when it's sophisticated and not like a nursery rhyme.
but i guess its a matter of personal opinion in the end. most of my poems rhyme, and when i try and write in free verse it really doesnt feel like me.

Serpentia

there was a purpose in both

milton - what rhyming poetry is this?

shakespeare - typical sonnet. With iambic pentameter. meant to sound like speech. often telling story. rhyme aided rhythm.

get_born

SeNioRiTa said:
i dont know why everyone hates forced rhyme. i personally like reading poetry that rhymes. i feel it gives a quirkyness and certain rythm and flow that is simple irresistable...well when it's sophisticated and not like a nursery rhyme.
but i guess its a matter of personal opinion in the end. most of my poems rhyme, and when i try and write in free verse it really doesnt feel like me.
me to. my whole narrative poem has been done in rhyme, not that i have anything against free verse, one of my poems i actually wrote in poetry and the other in rhyme, but i found the free verse gave the poem a lost effect and that was the feeling i was going fo beacause i was trying to capture a dreamlike state. But everything else follow different rhyming schemes.

julian87

HSC
I've rhymed poems through traditional english sonnets, representing the romanticism in my poetry, which is a suite of poetry on the relationship between Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love. I've been finished composing for about a month now and i am doing editing which is the really shit bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)