Plyometrics terms! (1 Viewer)

pasta8

HSC
In plyometrics is it based on a eccentric stretch OR contraction followed by a concentric contraction? i guess my real question is what is the difference between eccentric contractions and stretching if there is any? confused between the two terms stretch and contraction when used with eccentric! help much appreciated!

shuttle_bus5

HSC
In plyometrics is it based on a eccentric stretch OR contraction followed by a concentric contraction? i guess my real question is what is the difference between eccentric contractions and stretching if there is any? confused between the two terms stretch and contraction when used with eccentric! help much appreciated!
Plyometrics is characterised by a rapid eccentric contraction (lengethening) followed by a rapid concentric contraction (shortenting). This cause the 'spring re-coil' of the muscle which is why plyometrics is valued as a good power trainer.

In terms of stretching, yes you have eccentric stretches but these are done far slower. Stretches need to be done slow to allow the muscle fibres to fully extend .

So pretty much just remember:
Plyometrics eccentric contraction = Rapid/Fast/Short Duration
Stretching eccentric contraction = Slow/Sustained/Long duration

pasta8

HSC
Thanks man! One more thing when does the eccentric and concentric contraction occur in depth jumps and pushup clapping? I'm sure you'll explain this perfectly :)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Thanks man! One more thing when does the eccentric and concentric contraction occur in depth jumps and pushup clapping? I'm sure you'll explain this perfectly :)
In push up clapping, the eccentric contraction occurs in the triceps as you go down towards the ground, the concentric attraction occurs as you push up and clap.
Not to sure what you mean by depth jumps but im assuming you mean squat jumps? AS you squat, eccentric contractions occur in the Hamstring a well as the gastronemius (calves), as you 'jump' both these muscles contract.
Any other questions, i'm happy to try answer?

pasta8

HSC
if i do i'll certainly ask you! time to study some chem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)