• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PLT - Interstate Recognition (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I should be studying property law, but can't stop procrastinating, dammit! But I thought if I posted a relevant topic, my soul would be saved :p

So, its 2.5 years off for me (finally half way through this degree) but I'm starting to think of the PLT. I checked the college of law site, and downloaded the handbook, just to see the places the NSW gains you admission to.... and its shit. NSW, NT and ACT. I dont even want to really practise in NSW, let alone the bloody NT! I bet they just put that in there so they had some solicitors who could work there on Native Title claims (small minded of me, but I'm feeling a cynical).

But then you look at the VIC one, and you get VIC, NSW and ACT. Much better, seeing I want to eventually practise down in Melbourne. I'd stay here in Sydney for a little while because I dont want to do articles :p

Have any of you thought about this yet, or is it still too far off? There are some oldies amongst us, such as MoonlightSonata the Law Mod-God...

Oh, and do people know where they want to go once they graduate? Any firms you're aspiring to work for, or any areas of interest? And when you do go on to the PLT, which modules are you going to pick (or see yourself choosing).

Someone please reply and distract me from study :eek:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Plt

MaryJane said:
I should be studying property law, but can't stop procrastinating, dammit! But I thought if I posted a relevant topic, my soul would be saved :p

So, its 2.5 years off for me (finally half way through this degree) but I'm starting to think of the PLT. I checked the college of law site, and downloaded the handbook, just to see the places the NSW gains you admission to.... and its shit. NSW, NT and ACT. I dont even want to really practise in NSW, let alone the bloody NT! I bet they just put that in there so they had some solicitors who could work there on Native Title claims (small minded of me, but I'm feeling a cynical).

But then you look at the VIC one, and you get VIC, NSW and ACT. Much better, seeing I want to eventually practise down in Melbourne. I'd stay here in Sydney for a little while because I dont want to do articles :p

Have any of you thought about this yet, or is it still too far off? There are some oldies amongst us, such as MoonlightSonata the Law Mod-God...

Oh, and do people know where they want to go once they graduate? Any firms you're aspiring to work for, or any areas of interest? And when you do go on to the PLT, which modules are you going to pick (or see yourself choosing).

Someone please reply and distract me from study :eek:
Hi MJ :)

Nothing will save your soul from perpetuities!

Post-uni. I want to go to the bar, but need the experience as a solicitor to build some connections, etc. So I'll probably be working in a firm for about 5 years or so. My preferences would be, in order Blakes, Mallesons, Minter Ellison, Allens, Clayton Utz. Easier said than done though. Finishing my applications early next month for summer clerkships. If I don't get a clerkship then I might do a Masters.

PLT. It's unusual it isn't recognised in Victoria. I didn't know you could pick modules in the PLT?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

tsktsk guys... lawlawyers... mutual recognition... LPA 2004 :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Frigid said:
tsktsk guys... lawlawyers... mutual recognition... LPA 2004 :p
lol I forgot about that, man do I hate that subject.

The relevant provision:
LEGAL PROFESSION ACT 2004 (VIC) - SECT 2.4.32

Extent of entitlement of interstate legal practitioner to practise in this jurisdiction

(2) Also, an interstate legal practitioner’s right to engage in legal practice in this jurisdiction: ...

(b) is, to the greatest practicable extent and with all necessary changes:

(i) the same as the practitioner’s right to engage in legal practice in the practitioner’s home jurisdiction, and

(ii) subject to any condition on the practitioner’s right to engage in legal practice in that jurisdiction, including any conditions imposed on his or her admission to the legal profession in this or another jurisdiction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)