Please Reply ASAP: Course Selection (1 Viewer)

Razzah

HSC
Hello,

I am currently faced with a problem at my school. Firstly, here are my current subjects:

English Adv and Ext. 1
Maths Adv and Ext. 1
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Economics

Now onto the problem. I wish to drop Economics as I am currently doing 15 units (School forces a year 11 1 unit subject onto us) I want to drop Economics because it does not interest me at all and I would like to use those study periods for my other subjects.

The problem is my school is forcing me to do the extra 8 units on top of maths and english because I am doing both extensions. Now I need to find out if this is a policy applied all over NSW or just my school so could you please tell me if this applies at your school or if you know that this is/n't HSC policy could you please tell me.

Thank you very much,

Razzah.

tennille

HSC
Is your school forcing you to do 14 units or 12 units? If it's 14, then only your school is enforcing that- this is not a policy applied to all schools. We had to do a minimum 12 units in year 11, and a minimum of 10 units in year 12.

Razzah

HSC
My school says that if I am doing both extensions for math and english, (6 units total) then I must do an extra 8 units. So yes they say if I am doing both extensions I must do 14 units (with the extra 1 unit subject). Tenille at your school could you do both extensions and still only do 12 units?

Razzah

HSC
humglish said:
I go to Engadine high, and my school actually tries to dissuade us from doing extension.

The first 3 weeks of EE1 were so hard, because my teacher tried to get some kids to drop out.

Although, I must agree that some people really shouldn't be doing advanced, let alone extension.
But her plan worked, and our class is now substantially smaller, but she's still working on our advanced class....

fingers crossed
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question. I have no troubles with EE1 or EM1 I just thoroughly hate Economics. If I dropped it I would still have 13 units including extensions but my school will not allow it.

My plan is, if it isn't a policy enforced by the board of studies then I will get my parents to write a letter telling them to basically let me drop economics.

If they refuse I will treat economics like a study period in an economics classroom and just study all my other subjects ignoring assessment pieces.

Last edited:

loveforever

HSC
To get your HSC you have to study at least:
12 units - Preliminary
10 units - HSC

Those restrictions are just your school's, as long as you're doing a minimum of 12 units you're completing the requirements set by the Board of Studies.

cl3nta

HSC
Razzah said:
I want to drop Economics because it does not interest me at all and I would like to use those study periods for my other subjects.

Razzah.
Hi. I was like you, I wanted to drop eco in yr11 and I tried every avenue and challenged every rule my school had. In the end, I couldn't drop it. I sure did wag a few lessons. I dropped it the second I got into year12. Now here's the irony, I tutor eco to prelim students and when I finish HSC, i'm going to probably learn the HSC course and teach that (if I don't happen to do law/eco). So bear with the subject. Yes prelim is shit. Yes HSC course is shit. The uni eco course is the goodshit. And I bet a lot of money that you won't be "studying" as much as bludging.

Keep yourself busy and broaden your knowledge. Then in the HSC, you can concentrate on your select few subjects. You'll soon see how other subjects interconnect with others and if you can use this connection effectively in assessments, then you'll be very thankful for it;) For example, year 11 eco has helped me in ancient, ext1 and ext2 eng, and business (of course!). So believe me dude, stick with the subject.

Laterz.

Razzah

HSC
Fantastic, tomorrow I will hand a letter to my head of curriculum telling him where to go.

Thanks for all your help :)

tennille

HSC
Razzah said:
Tenille at your school could you do both extensions and still only do 12 units?
Yes. I did both extensions and I only did 12 units in both year 11 and 12.

Razzah

HSC
cl3nta said:
Hi. I was like you, I wanted to drop eco in yr11 and I tried every avenue and challenged every rule my school had. In the end, I couldn't drop it. I sure did wag a few lessons. I dropped it the second I got into year12. Now here's the irony, I tutor eco to prelim students and when I finish HSC, i'm going to probably learn the HSC course and teach that (if I don't happen to do law/eco). So bear with the subject. Yes prelim is shit. Yes HSC course is shit. The uni eco course is the goodshit. And I bet a lot of money that you won't be "studying" as much as bludging.

Keep yourself busy and broaden your knowledge. Then in the HSC, you can concentrate on your select few subjects. You'll soon see how other subjects interconnect with others and if you can use this connection effectively in assessments, then you'll be very thankful for it;) For example, year 11 eco has helped me in ancient, ext1 and ext2 eng, and business (of course!). So believe me dude, stick with the subject.

Laterz.
I appreciate the advice, but I literally fall asleep in economics. Our textbook uses large words without necessity and poorly structured sentences which makes speed reading incredibly annoying.

Things like drawing curves annoy me because they take into account assumptions which render the subject useless. What's the point of making an opportunity cost curve which factors out almost everything. Or a 5 sector flow model which makes so many assumptions it becomes almost like purist mathematics.

I loathe economics.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
yeah ur school is enforcing this and to me it seems ridiculous. they are forcing you basically to do 15 units which in ur case is 9 subjects is it?

that is way to much work in prelim for one person...i would be trying as hard as i can to drop it

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
What a fucking stupid policy for your school to enforce.

jaaaaay

HSC
year 11 - min 12 units
year 12 - min 10 units

anything else is just your school being o_O

mudcake42

HSC
Thats kinda like our school , you have to do a minimum of 12 units plus extension...and then in year 12 you have to do minimum of 12 units. So I'm doing 13 units and I'm going have to do 13 units in the HSC because I dont want to drop maths extension.

Its stupid and gay and ah fustrating!

Last edited:

Purple 2

HSC
hey
as far as i am aware, a school can't make you do the subjects. however i know that if you are at a private school then sometimes it is compulsary to do 1 unit of religion. it isn't a requirement of the hsc to do a 1 unit class. most people i know went through yr 11 with the minimum of 12units with no 1 unit class. so i am assumin it is somethink to do with ur school. hope that helps.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Isn't there something else on the Eco line that would better for you?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Purple 2 said:
hey
as far as i am aware, a school can't make you do the subjects. however i know that if you are at a private school then sometimes it is compulsary to do 1 unit of religion. it isn't a requirement of the hsc to do a 1 unit class. most people i know went through yr 11 with the minimum of 12units with no 1 unit class. so i am assumin it is somethink to do with ur school. hope that helps.
Not just private, we got slugged with SOR1 in Year 11, optional for Year 12. Absolute bludge subject though.

lacklustre

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Not just private, we got slugged with SOR1 in Year 11, optional for Year 12. Absolute bludge subject though.
Hey in our school, we can't drop SOR in year 12! lol

lacklustre

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
SOR1 is an absolute bludge though. Incredibly easy to get marks in.
So am I right in saying that I dn't need to worry about it until like 2 weeks before the exam? Or should I be regularly study?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)