Please Read. Pip Help Needed Badly. (1 Viewer)

xbroken-tearsx

HSC
Hey guys and girls,
Never actually posted in one of these things before, but I'm starting to get a bit desperate so I figured I would.
I'm in Year 12 and doing the PIP, but I'm having a lot of trouble on it. It's based on teenage conformity in contemporary society; the exact question is 'How does technology in modern society, particularly with regard to mass media, affect human behaviour and serve as a catalyst for conformity?'
Because this topic is a difficult one, and basically all subjective and opinion-based, I'm having trouble. I mean, I can't really look up anything on conformity in a textbook, except for a bit of background info on sociology, with didn't provide much at all, and the only thing I've really got left are questionnaires, interviews and group observation. Which is good, but I'd rather some secondary resources too, I need to gather as much info as I can because 5000 words is a lot for this topic. I've also been kinda slack, we only have 2 months left to do it and all I've done is the introduction.
I was looking for any suggestions at all that could have the possibility of helping me with the central material. I live on the South Coast, NSW, so places like Sydney and Canberra are available to me if I need to go there for anything. For example, in another post, someone was researching politics and government, and someone else suggested they visit parliament house. Any little mini excursions, or even ANY ideas at all (active research would be awesome though), will be SO appreciated!!!
Please help!!! Thank you in advance!!

Kulazzi

HSC
ok, I'm not sure if the state library may have it, but they are the place of heaven for your pip. This is their online website --> State Library You can look for your secondary resources online through the catalogue (WEBCAT) section and if they do have some stuff, then go up there and spend say a saturday working on your PIP. When you enter, oyu have to go to the lower level. It is a bit time ocnsuming though because for some books you cant just go look for them like you would do in a normal library, if the status for that book says fill in slip then you would have to fill in an information slip to request that book (you would also need a library card which you can do on the spot and it's free [except for photocopying/printing etc]). If there is one of those reference numbers on the book, then you have to go down another level to look for that book.

Hope this helps.

Kulazzi

HSC
here's an example - I searched "mass media and influence on society"

This talks about mass media and culture, and the influence of mm, with the exception only being that this is an American book (and very recent too - 2005). So if you see any similarities in this book to your research, then maybe you can suggest the Americanisation of the Australian society :)

edit: It also (which I assume) has an (unfamous) theorist

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
you dont need "famous" theorists, but you do need secondary sources. As i found out the internet has alot of info, which might not always be 100% reliable, but it s likely to lead you to better books or papers. Maybe take a trip to a uni library, they have better ranges of books, and i am sure if you call before hand, you will be able to arrange for some help from the librarians. The people in the Arts and Social Sciences section of UNSW lib are very nice, and im sure they will be able to help you. You will also get access to academic journals and papers that are more reliable than those internet sources.

Hope that helps!

nahian

HSC
Conformity is a key aspect of continuity
Look into continuity more, and what purpose conformity serves
Prob will help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)