Please, Please, Please help (1 Viewer)

ech

HSC
My ideas are coming to my head and then evolving instantly to a point where I am now just so lost.

I know what I want to express but have no clue how to express it.

Most of the people in my year group are starting their works now and I really want to start but just have no pathway that I could follow.

akrinis

HSC
First thing's first, WHAT is your concept? Ask yourself, how would you like to display this concept of yours? What medium (painting, drawing, digital) do you feel comfortable with/technically decent in?

sultani

HSC
Ok so ive also had the same dilemma...my thoughts are everywhere.....what im trying to to is.....
document all my ideas in my VAPD
research about them eg. artists your interested in
the different mediums you could use (start with the one you like the most)
get feedback from your teacher on your ideas
Choose a theme....i chose procrastination
Do little experiments eg. if you choose painting try painting on different surfaces for different effects

I'll emphasis again.....research

Hope this helps you :haha:

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Okay first things first.
You need to know when to stop your concept from growing. It will get out of hand if you let it go wild. I had this problem early on last year. My first idea was 'hey, I'm going to paint portraits of smiling people' and figured that was a good idea. I then decided to paint them in all different styles - good idea. Then I decided instead of painting happy people I would paint my favourite musicians - perfect. Then I got caught up with one particular style and worked with that - starting to get a bit ehhh at this stage because I like to paint with variety. Then I slowly changed from portraits, which is what I'm good with, to ink and watercolour landscapes, which I'm terrible with. About three days after having this stupid landscape idea I woke up at 4:15am on a Wednesday morning having a panic attack thinking "what the hell am I doing?! Landscape is such a dumb idea!" then freaked out about it the whole day at school. Then two days later I went back to portraits of my favourite musicians painted in different styles and stuck with that the whole year.
Basically what I'm telling you is that letting your idea evolve too much will send you crazy. You just need to pick a concept. Even if it is a simple idea you need not fret. You can get by on technical skill, trust me.
Once you have your idea set in stone you must not let it stray too far. Let it develop a little bit further - bring in a colour scheme or something small like that - but nothing too drastic.

As for how to express it?
Stick to a medium that you can work well with and will not tire of halfway through the year. This is so important. If you like painting then go ahead and paint. Don't worry about how competitive that category is, just do what you want. Art is supposed to be fun and you need to play to your strengths.

zorcy

HSC
lol, I need help too- although i do know my concept: the disintegrating relation between humans and nature. I want to use the seasons to show this- by the way I'm also ext2 english so my VA BOW is based on what I'm doing for my short story in Ext2...
the only thing i'm struggling on is deciding what medium i want to use... paint, photography, the both... or digital media... 0.o dunno entirely, i'm really at this stage experimenting and trying anything, then deciding what i want to stick with...
i suggest you do what other people have suggested- figure out that concept- do several mindmaps! it really helps! brainstorm anything that comes to mind! and think of any mediums that may help to illustrate that concept, and whatever medium you're comfortable with using experiment with! it's so fun, even if you're not artistic. :sun: also, try gain inspiration from other artists, and also looking at artexpress artworks help (^-^)

ech

HSC
Thats for the advice guys.

My concept is related to individualism and individualist cultures and also conformity. So I guess its a juxtaposition between conforming and freedom.
My ideas have strayed from graphic design (I was kind of forced to do that by a teacher), collections of works and photography.
My problem is, I don't know how to express my idea. I don't know where to start experimenting basically.

ech

HSC
lol, I need help too- although i do know my concept: the disintegrating relation between humans and nature. I want to use the seasons to show this- by the way I'm also ext2 english so my VA BOW is based on what I'm doing for my short story in Ext2...
the only thing i'm struggling on is deciding what medium i want to use... paint, photography, the both... or digital media... 0.o dunno entirely, i'm really at this stage experimenting and trying anything, then deciding what i want to stick with...
i suggest you do what other people have suggested- figure out that concept- do several mindmaps! it really helps! brainstorm anything that comes to mind! and think of any mediums that may help to illustrate that concept, and whatever medium you're comfortable with using experiment with! it's so fun, even if you're not artistic. :sun: also, try gain inspiration from other artists, and also looking at artexpress artworks help (^-^)
I've had a look at this years artexpress and the photographic work of the aboriginal faces was an inspiration. The powerful photo's were awesome. After seeing the exhibition I had an idea which I thought was alright but my teacher wasn't to keen but he did say that as my work gets under way I could incorporate this idea I had...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)