please help :) (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

hey...
i came first in ex2 english in my class and did a critical response on crime fiction... and was coming =1 all year for ex1 english too...

but screwed up my trial (could of had somethin to do with the fact that my major work was due like a day later and i hadnt slept for a week)

so went from 1st to 6th :'(

Can any explain to me how i approach the ext1 paper and what i need to know and how i can study for it?

since i did CF for ex2 major work, i have widely read etc, i am not asking cos i dont undertsand CF, i just dont understand the hsc exam and how to prepare ... (= crap eng teacher )

katy12345

help is at hand

hey jezzabelle
i am in a very similar situation to you!! i too was ranked first in the ext 1 english class most of the yr until i screwed up the triall. i misread the writing task question and so could only get half marks. AND i also did a crime fiction fro EXt 2 english major work. i also have read widely in the genre.
the difference between us is that i have a fantastic teacher. ok, to study for the exam tomorrow, you need to know what ur going to be asked.
there is one essay question on Crime Fiction. you need to refer to TWO out of three of your prescribed texts, and TWO additional texts which are also crime fiction. try to have arange of mediums. They could ask you to write it in the form of a transcript, article etc. uno the deal , they will prob just stick with the essay.
OK, for the next part, they call it a 'writing task'. usually it is creative wiriting in the form of a narrative. such Qs include "Write the first chapter of a crime fiction novel" or "complete the first line and compose a story: 'The best weapon is......'" BUT they have been known to ask stupid things like to write a transcript about two scholars studying crime fiction blah blah and they may even ask you to refer to yout prescribed and additional texts AGAIN. this happened in my trial and i wasnt expecting it so i didnt read that lien. READ THE QUESTION carefully using a highlighter.

ok, youll be right now.
xx

helina

when you say reply to TWO out of three (prescribed texts) do we lose marks if we talk about all 3?

Jezzabelle

yeh i did the same, i think we did the same trial tooo. yeh i answered it wrong and so couldnt get in the mark range i deserved cos i didnt use the right texts.. had too many related and not enough prescribed. totally sucked. thanks for your help xoxo

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
helina said:
when you say reply to TWO out of three (prescribed texts) do we lose marks if we talk about all 3?
i rang the advice line last night, and the nice lady said you will NOT lose marks if you refer to all three. depending on how well u talk about all three, you will gain marks :)
If the question says "refer to TWO prescribed texts" and u feel u have enough info and time to write about all 3 then do so.

the lady also said to know TWO indepth and refer to the third at different points in your essay, but u do not have to know it indepth....and u certainly wont be marked down. :)

helina

grk_styl said:
i rang the advice line last night, and the nice lady said you will NOT lose marks if you refer to all three. depending on how well u talk about all three, you will gain marks :)
If the question says "refer to TWO prescribed texts" and u feel u have enough info and time to write about all 3 then do so.

the lady also said to know TWO indepth and refer to the third at different points in your essay, but u do not have to know it indepth....and u certainly wont be marked down. :)

awesome...thanks so much :)

tennille

HSC
Usually they say "at least 2 of your set texts", so you should be free to write about 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)