Please help!!! i am doomed! (1 Viewer)

*rikku*

can anyone please tell me i still have *HOPE*??? Okay, here's the case - i am currently in year 12 and is a student from a semi-selective school. i just got my results for the half yearly and i failed pretty much of my subjects...except for maths (2unit)

apparently my school marks very hard for english (which i failed). Can someone tell me a way to rectify this situation??? it's horrible!! If i fail half of my school assessments and do well in the HSC, do i get scaled up? Do i still have a chance to get >90????

:(

*worry*

hatty

Banned
no, im afraid.

i suggest u leave school NOW with wutever dignity you have left, (not that theres much of that left)

NAH im kidding.
so wut, u fucked ur half yearlies

i no heaps of students that got 90+ and stuffing their half yearlies.
u just gotta now work EXTRA hard for ur assignments, the trials
and.. of course, the HSC

u got on average about 70% or so of ur HSC left
dont let some shit get u down

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"Do i still have a chance to get >90????"

No. You don't. :p
lol why bother asking? If people all said you did/didn't have a chance, would that change your behaviour in any way whatsoever?

But judging from your school, I'd be worried. Seriously worried. :p

Estel

Tutor
HSC
You wouldn't know. Be glad. ;)

Edit:
"apparently my school marks very hard for english "
I hope so lol.

Last edited:

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
do not worry about your marks, they will be moderated by the board once you sit the HSC exam, to ensure all school's assessment marks are on a level playing field.

concentrate on improving your ranks and the relative differences between those ranked ahead of you, that's what counts the most..... of course, improving this is a by product from studying, etc., a way of measuring progress as your marks increase/decrease.

santaslayer

HSC
Why are you streessing about ur marks anyway?.....sholdnt u be stressing about ur ranks instead?

suz

HSC
yeah like others have said don't worry too much bout the marks if ur ranks were decent
Use the fact that u didn't go as well as u hoped as motivation to improve ur ranks, which is what is important
u still have time, best of luck...

*rikku*

ok, this is the result of my half yearly english assessment.....

around 3/4 of the grade fail........

then, do i still have a chance if i am 'close to pass'?

ta!

Estel

Tutor
HSC
"around 3/4 of the grade fail........"
I guess Ms Repin wasn't too far from the truth then about you Yr12 kids being inadequate. [That's far better than how we're going though.] If you came close to pass, you would've almost beaten 3/4 of your fellow rabble, which as far as English goes, would suffice to give you over 90. :)

That is 3/4 of advanced, correct?

EDIT:
I'm no too sure to what extent Sefton is hopeless, so go see www.uac.edu.au for scaling documents if you want more info, and ask the head teacher how the school usually goes in terms of aligned marks...

Last edited:

*rikku*

wao!

u went to sefton?

so it is normal to fail at this stage???
are you sure getting close to a pass is good thing??? i mean, it doesnt look too good to me......i feel my world has collapsed!!! does '3/4 of the grade' fail every year??? or is it just our year???

MS REPIN!!!! PLZ DONT LOWER MY SELF ESTEEM NEYMORE!!!!

:mad1:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
You take me wrong... I'm in Yr 11 and she's the one saying you all suck. :p

Ask her how Sefton normally goes... I'm curious myself.

cayte

Just do your best, I know it's cliched, but if you stress too much about marks and grades and uais and become too fatalistic about it you will wind up burning out before you get to uni. Which is the point isn't it? Do compete for your rank, but don't be so concerned about marks or one teacher's assessment of your work.

An example: My Ancient History teacher was an HSC marker and as such expected a lot from the students, rarely giving marks above 70 (rarely failing the majority of a class either - your teacher has issues!). My raw % assessment mark was around 64, my rank 1, my exam must have gone damn well, in fact my whole class must have damn well, because my assessment mark as recorded on my certificates was 95.

Stress less and don't forget why you're doing this!

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
If you had a #1 ranking in Ancient History even if the rest of the candidates at your schools got <50 and you got 95 for the HSC exam - that 95 would still have been your HSC mark:D. If you are coming first the marks really shouldn't matter as the difficulty of assessments is not comparable between schools - only if your school is really bad - no one gets Band 6 etc. would you have to worry about a #1 ranking - geez :rolleyes:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
The problem of course being that coming 1st in a school for Ancient Hist. with 95 isn't very impressive...

Toby

hmm..
why isn't that impressive?
A 95 hsc mark?

btw, i went to sefton!
I think the teachers purposely mark extremely hard to encourage you to try harder in the exam
And its the rank that counts, so even if you get say 60%, and coming 12/90, obviously.... you get my drift... cuz sefton teachers like being tight... ask giant lobster :)

Our school does alright in english

cayte

Well Estel, perhaps you'll be a little disappointed when you don't get your target uai of 100.05 too...

I think the teachers purposely mark extremely hard to encourage you to try harder in the exam
And that's the point, isn't it. Marks and grades are often quite relative expressions, especially in the arts/humanities. As long as you feel you're getting something out of it is all that really matters. Without getting too existential on you.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Toby: nothing wrong with getting 95 for Ancient Hist... just when it's the top mark in your school, it's a bit disappointing. And this lately Sefton's declined into pansy marking.

Cayte: it doesn't hurt to try, no? :)

Last edited:

cayte

Well, I guess that depends on how much you get off on disappointment!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)