PLEASE HELP!! Concave + Convex Lenses Help (1 Viewer)

hi help pls

HSC
Help I am currently studying about waves in year 9 science and I am a bit confused about how objects become larger when viewed through convex lenses while objects become smaller when viewed through concave lenses.

When researching, I came across one video which stated that because when objects are viewed through concave lenses, the reflected light is diverged which means that when our eyes trace back the light's pathway in a straight line, this causes us to perceive the object smaller but closer. In comparison, when objects are viewed through convex lenses, the reflected light is converged which means that when our eyes trace back the light's pathway in a straight line, this causes us to perceive the object larger and farther away.

However, when I was doing more research about this, sources state that this was not true, so now, I am quite confused about why we view objects larger and farther away when viewing them through convex lenses and why we view objects smaller but closer when viewing them through concave lenses.

If anyone could provide a brief but detailed explanation about why we view objects larger and farther away when viewing them through convex lenses and why we view objects smaller but closer when viewing them through concave lenses, it would be much appreciated. thank you!

Last edited:

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Help I am currently studying about waves in year 9 science and I am a bit confused about how objects become larger when viewed through convex lenses while objects become smaller when viewed through concave lenses.

When researching, I came across one video which stated that because when objects are viewed through concave lenses, the reflected light is diverged which means that when our eyes trace back the light's pathway in a straight line, this causes us to perceive the object smaller but closer. In comparison, when objects are viewed through convex lenses, the reflected light is converged which means that when our eyes trace back the light's pathway in a straight line, this causes us to perceive the object larger and farther away.

However, when I was doing more research about this, sources state that this was not true, so now, I am quite confused about why we view objects larger and farther away when viewing them through convex lenses and why we view objects smaller but closer when viewing them through concave lenses.

If anyone could provide a brief but detailed explanation about why we view objects larger and farther away when viewing them through convex lenses and why we view objects smaller but closer when viewing them through concave lenses, it would be much appreciated. thank you!
do you know how to draw the diagram? Its because thats the path the light ray travels through a lens. Sometimes the image is inverted, enlarged etc. If not try this video, this should help explain it.
Ray diagrams

idkkdi

HSC

draw ray diagrams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)