Please help - cable connection not working (1 Viewer)

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
When I plug the CAT5 cable into my computer, the green light comes on and everything, but the LAN connection in the system tray says the network cable's been unplugged. After a while the icon turns into the 'enabled' mode - for a few seconds - then turns into 'disabled' again!!

I've checked the router and modem and everything seems fine. I've been able to go online for the past few days, but yesterday it just suddenly stopped working. I share the connection with 4 other housemates, the connection works for everyone but me :mad1: Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance!

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Hm.. strange

Do you have any other computers you can plug the cable into, or have any other cable you can test?

Have you had any cat5 plugged in before?

And, yet another question :p does your motherboard have a lan port ? Or are you using a network card? If so, you could try the other port and see.

Do the other computers see the cable plugged in correctly?

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I tried using my computer in my housemate's room (with my own pc and CAT5...but her wall socket) and it worked. I'm using a network card.

fatmuscle

HSC
yeah, as Mednez said, you'll have to do a few checks.

1. use the same cable and your computer on a different network
2. use a different cable and your computer on your network
3. if your LAN card is a PCI one, and you've got another PCI card and you're adventurous enough to swap it over, you can try that!

Your next bet will be to play around with your network card drivers.
updating it; disabling and re-enabling

I've had a weird problem b4 where the computer will not work on a particular network no matter what cable you used, but on another more or less identical network, it was fine.
My only solution to that situation was to buy a wireless card :/ A $70 solution, but it was the cheapest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)