Planning to do Veterinary Science ..but: (1 Viewer)

jameeeeeeeey

HSC
Hi.

I'm choosing subjects for next year, which are going to carry on to year 12.

I've been looking at different uni's, and the assumed knowledge...should i really do all the science subjects that they say (i've read the assumed knowledge subjects in a course booklet, from Uni Syd.)

The assumed knowledge for Veterinary Science at Uni Syd is Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Idon't exactly enjoy Chemistry or understand it..., should i choose it for one of my subjects and "suffer"? Or will i be disadvantaged if i get into the course, as i didn't do Chemistry...

Help...

oh and if anyone is currently doing Veterinary Science...is Chemistry important.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you're not enjoying chemistry now, it's going to get a whole lot harder in uni and you're unlikely to find yourself enjoying your course once you get in.

Doomah

HSC
i have seen many people struggle at uni who did not do chemistry in HSC and even drop out of their chosen sceince course (eg medical science, pharmacy) and go do a business degree.

for vetinary sci you will need to do the usual chem1a and chem1b which is very challenging (but not impossible) if you didnt do chemistry at hsc level.

i suggest if vet is really what u want to do, then get some tutoring in chemistry. because it isnt that hard of a subject. i didnt "like" it aswell because i didnt understand it, but when i was taught it correctly then i understood it, and then i began to really really enjoy it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
My sister is thinking about doing the same course...and she's also an 11'er...LOL
She's planning to do English, Ext2 Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology...she's reluctant to do Biology because she hated it in junior school but is willing to put up with it because it is a recommended course of study and hopefully it won't put her in much disadvantage in terms of the ATAR...(i.e. if she bombs out in Biology it won't count in the best 10 units but at least she gets some knowledge about Biology)

..:''ooo

HSC
No. not important to become a vet.

but important to pass first semester of year 1

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You will need to do at least some chemistry - comes with doing a directed course. I had to as well - and I'd suggest doing it in the HSC so you have a good basis for uni (which I didn't).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)