plan check (1 Viewer)

HSC
so i've just finished mapping out my study plan for the next 6 weeks until the hsc, and it goes as follows:
this week - update notes and go through trial feedback/mistakes
next week - consolidate knowledge/revision
week after - consolidate knowledge/revision
week after - past papers under timed conditions + memorize case studies for business/geo
week after - past papers
final week - final revision + past papers
so yeah, just wanted to see if anyone could check over my plan and see if I need to add anything/if I am on the right track in terms of preparation.

jonhysmitw2

HSC
so i've just finished mapping out my study plan for the next 6 weeks until the hsc, and it goes as follows:
this week - update notes and go through trial feedback/mistakes
next week - consolidate knowledge/revision
week after - consolidate knowledge/revision
week after - past papers under timed conditions + memorize case studies for business/geo
week after - past papers
final week - final revision + past papers
so yeah, just wanted to see if anyone could check over my plan and see if I need to add anything/if I am on the right track in terms of preparation.
What do you mean by revision, like what exactly are you gonna be doing, textbook questions, worksheets.. etc

HSC
so reading over notes/slides/syllabus ? for 2 weeks??
yeah it takes me that long to read over my notes. it makes sense if u consider the sheer load of work there is for 12 units, plus diagrams and case studies. maybe for some ppl it sounds shocking, but i need that time.

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
yeah it takes me that long to read over my notes. it makes sense if u consider the sheer load of work there is for 12 units, plus diagrams and case studies. maybe for some ppl it sounds shocking, but i need that time.
no that is stupid
reading notes wont do u any good this late into the year
u need to be actively studying
atleast make up questions on each dotpoint, read ur notes and then answer those questions urself
like atleast that much
dont just read ur notes that wont get u anywhere
not only is it stupid
it will make u procrastinate because tbf who tf will be able to just sit for two weeks reading repetitive notes? no one
u need to be using ur brain rather than just passing information through ur brain

nsw..wollongong

HSC
no that is stupid
reading notes wont do u any good this late into the year
u need to be actively studying
atleast make up questions on each dotpoint, read ur notes and then answer those questions urself
like atleast that much
dont just read ur notes that wont get u anywhere
not only is it stupid
it will make u procrastinate because tbf who tf will be able to just sit for two weeks reading repetitive notes? no one
u need to be using ur brain rather than just passing information through ur brain
... i think if i specific study method works for someone, let them be?? its not like all they're gonna do is read from the textbook and call it a day, they wouldn't be asking questions if they truly did that. i personally find it helpful to do active recall for the topics I'm unsure of, and that consists of going over my notes + memorising them (esp for something like chem where u gotta memorise tedious info like indicator colours or some shit). don't think its stupid at all

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
... i think if i specific study method works for someone, let them be?? its not like all they're gonna do is read from the textbook and call it a day, they wouldn't be asking questions if they truly did that. i personally find it helpful to do active recall for the topics I'm unsure of, and that consists of going over my notes + memorising them (esp for something like chem where u gotta memorise tedious info like indicator colours or some shit). don't think its stupid at all
she said shes just reading over her notes
literally just reading over

carrotsss

HSC
no he’s right reading notes is genuinely something people do a lot and it just doesn’t work (like it’s been scientifically proven not to work well)

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
I gotta disagree here depending on the subject. For example, right now Im reading over Physics again and trying to understand it. No point doing past papers (YET) when I don't understand the content. If I could use Einsteins time dilation to time travel Id go back and tell him to never publish his theory of special relativity.
if u dont know how to do any previously learnt content i think u screwed up there
this is revision time
u cant be relearning shi- if u do then well special case but like ur idealely not in the situation

nsw..wollongong

HSC
sorry im gonna disagree here, it takes some ppl a longer time to grasp the content. i highly doubt all she's doing is passively reading notes without active recall techniques. no point doing past papers when u don't know the content itself

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Of course everyone has their own ways in how they learn content, but it's been pretty transperant that some students use this notion of 'linearly learning' as it's regarded as that study 'technique' that has worked for centuries. Furthermore, less and less students have explored alternative study methods as they likely get worried that it won't be effective. Breaking this barrier is key. It's been scientifically proven that revising through notes and textbooks are extremely inefficient and only renders your knowledge specifically to what is written down. Say if some abstract question is tested in an exam. Students who approach their studies through a mindmapping and active recall medium will likely understand and engage with the question more than a student who memorises notes and answers in a 'linear' fashion (if that makes sense). Experimenting with your techniques is therefore essential if you want to achieve into those higher percentiles. 'If you're doing the same thing as everyone, how are you going to beat them?'- Archer Newton. Note that 'following the herd' won't distinguish you from the 'herd'.

HSC
OK so when I wrote this post I wasn't expecting these many replies xd. y'all took my "reading over notes" too seriously. ofc ill use other techniques, just i didnt list them all here. And also, what do u mean by active recall? like flashcards and reading aloud or something? if ur going to host a war here in the comments atleast be a bit more specific for the love of God lol.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
OK so when I wrote this post I wasn't expecting these many replies xd. y'all took my "reading over notes" too seriously. ofc ill use other techniques, just i didnt list them all here. And also, what do u mean by active recall? like flashcards and reading aloud or something? if ur going to host a war here in the comments atleast be a bit more specific for the love of God lol.
Oh, no I wasn't trying to make a fight over it (I apologise if thats how I worded it). Active recall is usually flashcards, correct. - I suggest you use anki (free flashcard site which can be accessed on practically any device).

- All the best on your HSCs dude 🙏

nsw..wollongong

HSC
it could be as simple as covering up content and reciting it by heart (so helpful for english), blurting out on a mindmap what u know abt a topic then going over it and seeing what u missed, matching case studies or specific examples to syllabus dot points, etc. its basically "actively" memorising and recalling info by doing stuff other than passively reading (which doesn't let u absorb the info properly)

band6yesplease

HSC
And also, what do u mean by active recall?
Or even for Active Recall get a whiteboard or use a mirror in your house or something and just write down every single thing you can remember for each syllabus dotpoint (obviously more effective in humanities subjects) or quotes and themes for english then compare them to your notes.

I also made 2 page summary notes for every single subject which squished everything down into concise plans that, especially for english or like history extension, meant that I didn't have to memorise as much because I had an actual purpose. So even if u just try to condense your notes down as much as possible then try to use them for active recall!

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
it's all about knowing how to apply your information, could be through mindmaps, 'teaching' ... higher order learning techniques

. 'If you're doing the same thing as everyone, how are you going to beat them?'- Archer Newton. Note that 'following the herd' won't distinguish you from the 'herd'.
he is so smart

HSC
Oh, no I wasn't trying to make a fight over it (I apologise if thats how I worded it). Active recall is usually flashcards, correct. - I suggest you use anki (free flashcard site which can be accessed on practically any device).

- All the best on your HSCs dude 🙏
no i didnt just mean u lol. anyway. thanks for the active recall suggestion, will try to use it

HSC
Or even for Active Recall get a whiteboard or use a mirror in your house or something and just write down every single thing you can remember for each syllabus dotpoint (obviously more effective in humanities subjects) or quotes and themes for english then compare them to your notes.

I also made 2 page summary notes for every single subject which squished everything down into concise plans that, especially for english or like history extension, meant that I didn't have to memorise as much because I had an actual purpose. So even if u just try to condense your notes down as much as possible then try to use them for active recall!
i don't think the mirror method will work for me, it will just be too awkward to stare at myself in the mirror while doing my study xd. but i will try the summary notes and condensing method tho. thanks for the suggestion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)