Plagiarism (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Hey. i'm a bit confused on plagiarism.

say your doing an assignment, which requires a report format to answer 3 questions.

can you copy a layout from a resource of bored of studies submitted by a student but just the layout. the information and the data inside the report is made up by yourself.

just don't wanna screw up my assignment.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
That sounds alright, be careful nonetheless though.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
sooo would it be alrite to copy the layout?
like the table of contents & changing / adding some stuff in it.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
sooo would it be alrite to copy the layout?
like the table of contents & changing / adding some stuff in it.
Depends on the project... say if it's for a computer assignment and you're supposed to make the layout urself, then copying one would be cheating.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Well, check if the table of contents is (if you can) being directly assessed in the marking criteria. Personally I wouldn't use the same table of contents and replace the values, it might get you in trouble. Really if the line between what is and isnt plagiarism is hard to draw, you're better of taking the safer option.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmm ok.

the project is for Business Studies..
this is wat is expected of me :
- use your knowledge and the information provided
- communicate using relevant business terminology
- present a logical, well-structured answer to the question in the form of a business report.

it isn't 'hard' for me to determine per se'... but its just that im unsure. it's not realli plagarism coz i'm basing my table of contents off it.

here's the marking criteria for "an excellent task" which is what im aiming for,

- clearly identifies and incorporates a business thrhoughout the response
- clearly indicates the main features of the elements of the business's marketing mix
- clearly shows the relationship between the elements of the marketing mix and how the business manages the marketing of its product/s to increaase market share
- clearly inquires into the ethical and legal issues faced by the business in the marketing of its product(s)
- presents a logical, well-structured answer to the question and clearly communicates using business terminology and concepts
- has a detailed annotated bibliography

[[ btw - wat does annotated mean? ]]

p.s sorri for the rushed typing - was in a hurry.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
shinji / d3sp said:
hmm ok.

the project is for Business Studies..
this is wat is expected of me :
- use your knowledge and the information provided
- communicate using relevant business terminology
- present a logical, well-structured answer to the question in the form of a business report.

it isn't 'hard' for me to determine per se'... but its just that im unsure. it's not realli plagarism coz i'm basing my table of contents off it.

here's the marking criteria for "an excellent task" which is what im aiming for,

- clearly identifies and incorporates a business thrhoughout the response
- clearly indicates the main features of the elements of the business's marketing mix
- clearly shows the relationship between the elements of the marketing mix and how the business manages the marketing of its product/s to increaase market share
- clearly inquires into the ethical and legal issues faced by the business in the marketing of its product(s)
- presents a logical, well-structured answer to the question and clearly communicates using business terminology and concepts
- has a detailed annotated bibliography

[[ btw - wat does annotated mean? ]]

p.s sorri for the rushed typing - was in a hurry.
I don't do business studies and I dont think I've ever written a report in that style. Sorry I couldn't offer anything solid.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
ahh ok. thanks. always get that and anecdote(sp?) mixed up.

so should i still base my table of contents off another persons'? and give reference to him?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a teacher I am always telling my students to acknowledge absolutely everything to cover themselves.

Certainly reference the source of any information.

Always cover yourself.

Don't be afraid to have a Bibliography of more than one page.

Always reference websites and give as much information as possible, not just the URL or home page - if you click from one page to another of the same site include each new page in your bibliography.

Please note that teacher do check for plagiarism and that from the web is so easy. Check it yourself - type in a short sentence in inverted commas into Google - if it is there word for word the google search will locate it and you would be surprised at how many students get caught. Some schools don't worry enough about it in my opinion but it is important.

studynoob

HSC
N/A
who cares almost all of my school teachers dont even know that boredofstudies.org is

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
studynoob said:
who cares almost all of my school teachers dont even know that boredofstudies.org is
Your teachers do not equal all teachers in state, interestingly enough. It's better to be careful than to face the consequences of getting caught.

By using someone else's layout, you are plagiarising under this point. Part of Business Studies assessments tests whether you can present the information you gather in the correct style, and using someone else's layout would be considered plagiarism. You can use the layout as an example for your own, but you would have to put your own together. That's my take.

I_F

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
studynoob said:
You would be surprised how many teachers actually know about the site, my english and economics teachers both know about the resource section and occasionally check up on it when they mark assignments. Never assume that your teacher does not know about sites like these.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
studynoob said:

Teachers don't need to know about this site to check for plagiarism.

I found this site through checking for suspected plagiarism - I typed a sentence into Google and pressed search - this was the site that had the work that had been plagiarised - student got zero for the work of course and I decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea if I was able to advise other students, besides my own of things about which I may know something relevant, such as this issue and how teachers can and do check things.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Teachers and students alike are aware of BOS (boredofstudies) and its resources section like any resource you MUST credit its use with direct links if possible in a footnote or bibliography.

Teachers can all use online facilities submitting your assignment and have the website check for any instances of plagiarism. Although this software needs an electronic copy and can find if you have used word for word etc from online and some book resources. At some universities students are asked to submit their work with the report the website gives attached to the document.

cem if you don’t mind be asking what subjects do you teach?

studynoob

HSC
N/A
well guess what i copied a great speech about physical jpurneys in english that got full marks and i just changed the title and stuff and i got 13/15

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Kid.@dmin said:
cem if you don’t mind be asking what subjects do you teach?

I teach both Modern and Ancient History and have been an HSC marker for Modern History since 1992.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
studynoob said:
well guess what i copied a great speech about physical jpurneys in english that got full marks and i just changed the title and stuff and i got 13/15

That just says that you have a teacher who didn't do a check and that you have been lucky.

You may not be that lucky next time but that is your choice - to take the risk rather than acknowledge the work that others have done - as I tell my students 'plagiarism' is just a fancy name for theft - stealing someone else's work and claiming it as your own. It is your conscious of course...

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
studynoob said:

i swear, hardly any teachers at my school know what it is. i wouldn't worry so much if i were you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you are caught plagiarising, the consequences are very severe, and most schools will probably penalise the student by giving him/her zero for that assignment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)