Plagiarism? (1 Viewer)

fnsndgfg

HSC
Just wondering what counts as plagiarism. If I use someone else's study notes for English but write the essay in my own words does that count as plagiarism. Like all the quotes would be the same and the points would be the same but just worded differently. And if that counts as plagiarism what even are the chances of being caught?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think this would count as plagiarism, because a particular technique/quote from a particular text used in different essays will remain the same and will have the same effect, meaning different essays may raise similar points with respect to their analysis. Essentially, you're developing a response from someone else's study notes. It's not like you are using a response written by them as a basis for your own. Plagiarism is determined (and possibly penalised) when there is a high level of similarity between your response and someone else's response.

However, with that being said, you should definitely try to raise your own points in addition to the other person's points or (where possible) replace some of their points with some of your own, as that would considerably reduce any risk associated with plagiarism. Alternatively, and in addition to writing in your own words, you can modify the structure (such as order of points as well as number of paragraphs) of your response in such a way that would create a clear distinction between your response and someone else's.

I hope this helps! :D

fnsndgfg

HSC
I don't think this would count as plagiarism, because a particular technique/quote from a particular text used in different essays will remain the same and will have the same effect, meaning different essays may raise similar points with respect to their analysis. Essentially, you're developing a response from someone else's study notes. It's not like you are using a response written by them as a basis for your own. Plagiarism is determined (and possibly penalised) when there is a high level of similarity between your response and someone else's response.

However, with that being said, you should definitely try to raise your own points in addition to the other person's points or (where possible) replace some of their points with some of your own, as that would considerably reduce any risk associated with plagiarism. Alternatively, and in addition to writing in your own words, you can modify the structure (such as order of points as well as number of paragraphs) of your response in such a way that would create a clear distinction between your response and someone else's.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you! I'm really only using someone else's notes for MOD B, and I plan to change up the structure and wording significantly. Another question I have is, are you allowed to reuse the work you have already submitted? For the common module, I memorized an essay that I had written earlier and now I'm planning on using the same essay. Is that plagiarism? Considering it is my own work. Thanks again.

HSC
My teachers at least wouldnt like it if you reuse an essay in different exams, not sure how youd do that enyway, but regurgitating an essay is fine, heaps of people do it, even if its not necessarily an very good idea.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you! I'm really only using someone else's notes for MOD B, and I plan to change up the structure and wording significantly. Another question I have is, are you allowed to reuse the work you have already submitted? For the common module, I memorized an essay that I had written earlier and now I'm planning on using the same essay. Is that plagiarism? Considering it is my own work. Thanks again.
No worries, in that case I believe you'll be fine.

At HSC level this shouldn't be a problem, as I used my own and same Module A essay in my first assessment, my trial exam and my HSC exam. Of course, I made some modifications along the way by asking my teacher for feedback but it was essentially the same essay. Using your own work in a subsequent assessment task/exam is more of a problem at university (I believe you need to inform the appropriate person of your intention and ask for permission to use work you have previously submitted), but you obviously don't need need to worry about this now.

Note that by essay, I'm referring to analysis, which I would adapt depending on the question.

nourished.

HSC
Just wondering what counts as plagiarism. If I use someone else's study notes for English but write the essay in my own words does that count as plagiarism. Like all the quotes would be the same and the points would be the same but just worded differently. And if that counts as plagiarism what even are the chances of being caught?
Yep, like Jimmy said, it probably wouldn't count as plagiarism. Mind you, and not that I condone it, getting caught for plagiarising is probably unlikely. They'd have to type out your essay, word for word, and then see if the computer detects any plagiarism.

icycledough

HSC
Like jimmy and nourished have said, copying quotes should be fine, as that is inevitable when there are 1000s of students who will have the same texts to analyse in their essays. Even though it is very unlikely to be caught for plagiarism, where it does change is when the analysis and topic sentences are the exact same or very similar. However, it is in your best interest to be ethical and not go as far as 'stealing' other people's arguments and analysis, as it may not even fit into your essay or the question given.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)