Plagiarism (1 Viewer)

Damien1324

HSC
I was just curious concerning science topics. I generally get my notes from school notes/textbooks (and rarely online) and blend them all together, but I'm always afraid if I have to use a few examples from the textbook or something that it could be considered plagiarism. Is it possible to even plagiarise in a science such as Chemistry/Biology? As if you had lots of examples from the same textbook and they recognise it?

This is what gets me worried and keeps me changing all of my examples. So I have highly varied examples but still get a bit anxious. I understand that people will be using similar examples, but I'm talking how much is too much for them to consider plagiarism or use from one source only?

This may be a silly question considering I know people who study from ONLY the excel books haha.

HyperComplexxx

ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
HSC
just keep the examples, i doubt you'd be picked out for plagerising, unless you copy someone sitting besides you word for word
I reckon its fine, just like in maths, you copy their EDIT: (TTEXBOOK) proof line for line yet that is not plagerising same with science
me thinks O_O

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
plenty of people use examples of concepts from textbooks in exams, dont think there would be an issue with it

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
A friend of mine got all his notes from English study guide books for an assessment and mixed them into his own, he was coming first. When he handed the assignment in he didn't realise that his work included some of the examples from the books. But another student who saw his work saw it and dobbed him in, so he ended up getting 0 for it :S
The teacher knew herself, but she wouldn't have taken any action since lots of people use the guidebooks anyway, but because another student complained she had to give him 0. So I'd say it'd be fine to use those examples but be wary of other selfish students who have something against you.
but English and the science subjects are two completely different exams. Like past papers from sciences have similar examples cos that's pretty much the only way to answer a certain question where as English is very subjective and your own critical thinking is needed to answer a question.

Damien1324

HSC
Didn't you do all my own work?
I certainly did, but I went to a school who wasn't fussed about it haha. Besides, I don't recall anything about science examples specifically, maybe because my school just couldn't be bothered teaching us the entire thing. We only really got an overview, but most of us knew what plagiarism was.

To everyone else, thanks a lot for your help, it's been highly helpful! :D

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
maybe he didnt really listen during all my own work, I know I certainly didn't
Ironically; copy of each other for the All My Own Work worksheet :)

It's called teamwork!

^^ Someone mentioned this somewhere...

BTW: Examples from textbooks from the example section would be fine; providing you're not going to publish a book with the EXACT SAME EXAMPLE.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I don't think i have heard anything about plagarism in Science- except obviously in home assignments. Mate, no way on this Earth will you get done for Plagarism. If its the right answer, it's the right answer. It doesn't matter if thousands of others have the same, because at the end of the day; we all get our scientific knowledge from textbooks, whereas in English you have to develop your own opinion.
It's like saying everyone put 4 for 2+2 in Maths and that's plagarism aha. You'll be fine mate.

Atarer

HSC
if u use examples from the textbook they are more likely to mark you right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)