Plagiarism in the 2007 Paper!!! (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
me121 said:
wow what a quick reply. well.. i totally disagree with memorising slab's of text and regurgitating it in the exam. but i feel the onus in on the examiner to not ask questions that allow this. and unfortunately many questions in the HSC do allow this.
The onus is on the student to do their homework, formulate their own ideas and present them in an exam, regardless of the question. The examiner is not being tested here, the student is.

Also just because you regurgitate what someone else said does not mean you don't understand it, their way of putting it may just be the best way of answering the question. So what are you going to do? You will answer the question in the best possible way but regurgitating what someone else has said on the topic.
Regurgitating what someone else said is normally a sign that you actually don't understand what they're saying because you can't grasp the entire concept or statement by yourself and put it in your own words.

Also, I never encountered an exam where the question and the material I had studied meshed 100% so I doubt that someone else's ideas are going to answer a particular exam question to a T.

Nice revision of your opinion by the way since
If you just plagiarise then you do in fact know the work and you should not be punished just because someone else has written those exact same sentences before.
was absolutely moronic.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Tulipa said:
Nice revision of your opinion by the way since

was absolutely moronic.
oops.. i made a typo. i meant to say "If you just plagiarise and you do in fact..."

Tulipa said:
Regurgitating what someone else said is normally a sign that you actually don't understand what they're saying because you can't grasp the entire concept or statement by yourself and put it in your own words.
Not always.. Sometimes I understand something and I could explain it to someone else, but the best way to write it down is how someone else said it. Sometimes other's might put an idea down in text in a really well explained way that you do understand. In this case it would be better to just repeat what they said rather than try to change it and ending up making it more confusing.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
me121 said:
Not always.. Sometimes I understand something and I could explain it to someone else, but the best way to write it down is how someone else said it. Sometimes other's might put an idea down in text in a really well explained way that you do understand. In this case it would be better to just repeat what they said rather than try to change it and ending up making it more confusing.
And you know what, that's usually okay. However, this is because it's normally a simple definition or brief explanation, not slabs of regurgitated crap. When it's more than four or five sentences, you're in trouble because it's more about saying what they said because you don't understand it. I find that a lot of the material I study I can condense down quite easily so that it can be my starting point in addressing the question before I use my own knowledge.

I've had high school teachers (the better ones) and a number of uni lecturers say the same thing.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
I hope all you idiots who are against the HSC Markers calling people out on it, plagiarise in University, and get absolutely fucked over.

I'll be here lolling like mad.
You could be a little more specific like detail exactly what plagiarism is. Because I think this is the misunderstanding and argument in question.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Razizi said:
I didn't see the below opinion which was more detailed instead of cussing; the one I quoted. Stfu azama fhken random wannabe gangster. Gtfo.
Still doesn't change the fact that you were disapproving of her post, which, like the one you were defending, was an opinion.

kooltrainer

HSC
Trebla said:
I don't think it is the issue of two or more students having like responses, but it is more about the issue of individual students taking extracts from copyrighted material without acknowledgement. This is considered academic misconduct because students are expected to compose their own original response from scratch to the question. Students who reproduce extracts from well-known storylines make a mockery of those who actually went through the trouble of producing their own.
does that mean its okay to do it if we acknowledged it? and it'd be marked accordingly? then why don;t we all just plagarise sum famous work and write down the bottom " this is based on blah blah blah"

me121

Premium Member
HSC
kooltrainer said:
does that mean its okay to do it if we acknowledged it? and it'd be marked accordingly? then why don;t we all just plagarise sum famous work and write down the bottom " this is based on blah blah blah"

lol.. this is where i think the board needs detailed policy documents. instead they have some cheap dummed down pamphlets, and some online course which is terribly hard to print as one policy document.

arae

travels
HSC
kooltrainer said:
how post-modern..
you can, but unless you show any kind of creative thought or constructive research you won't get much credit...

Eg: if you were to write an essay on plagarism and reference others... (just making something up...)

Glazier (1999, Academic Plagarism), provides the definition as "the theft of ideas, opinions and intellectual property without due citation and reference of ownership". This conflicts with the opinion of Johnson (2007, Plagarism in Australia), who states "..
is fine, you're comparing the ideas of others and acknowledging they aren't your own.

but saying

Plagarism is the theft of ideas, opinions and intellectual property without due citation and reference of ownership
would be plagarism, as you're passing it off as your own words and opinions. Handing in a paper which is a copy of someone elses but you write "(Glazier, 1999, Academic Plagarism)" in the footer, isn't plagarism, but you'll get a 0 for it anyway...

kooltrainer

HSC
wel, using someones idea but putting it in your own words isn't considered as plagarism yeh.. i mean, u have similar storyline with same moral lesson at the end doesnt mean u've plagarised coz u've put it in ur own words..

Paj20

HSC
everythings plagerising to some extent.. just cause you change a few words and mix it around, your still using someone else information just moving it around so it isnt your own work really

sirfeathers

HSC
I see so many people who do nothing but copy band 6 responses getting top marks...totally shits me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)