plagarism (1 Viewer)

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
so i just submitted an essay to turnitin, the online database that checks your essay for plagarism, and it highlighted a paragraph of mine that i lifted from an earlier essay i wrote on a similar topic, saying that i had copied from it.....does it count as plagarism when you reuse your own work?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sorry um.. under uts policy it seems like you fall under the wide definition of plagiarism, "reusing previously-submitted work".

but then again, it's absurd to write **blahblahblahblah** (I wrote this, 2004)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah bumface this actually come under discussion in my class, someone asked if it is plagiarism if you re-use our own writing and apparently at uts it is considered at plagiarism, but then again uts is not the uni of newcastle.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
um, it should say on your plagarism explanation page that you can't submit another person's work, or something you've submitted in the past.

aside, if everyone plagarises the txtbook, it isn't plagarism! =p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yes, they count copy+paste from any source (even your own) as plagiarism.
like with our psych major essays, we had 3 h/w assignments due beforehand and they drilled into us not to ctrl+c our h/w coz it counts as plagiarism, even if we wrote it ourselves.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
i thiiiiiiiiiink they might be implementing it at UTS (in some faculties, at least), but that means the admin guys organise it and then you just have to use it (sort of like an extra step to submitting an essay, i think)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
to cope and paste is bad, it's then harder to turn it into your ownwords, better rephrasing from the beginning

and yeah i want to submit to turnitin. so do they have records of all previous papers? even your own?

Collin

HSC
N/A
It's not plagerism if you acknowledge the creator, but again under the so called 'wide definition' of plagerism for UTS, I wouldn't take the risk.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
www.turnitin.com

i dunno how it works, we just go there and submit the work to a destination the instructors have specified, and it checks it and then comes up how much text is matching (some instructors have it set so we can see our plagiarism count, and others dont)
we dont have to pay, although possibly the uni does?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i dont see the problem. it was a body of text about four lines long that i had written on a similar topic, and it was wholey applicable to the new question posed. if it's my own academic work, i should be able to reuse it in whatever context i see fit. it's not like i copied a whole essay, either

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Music provides templates for elaborating self-identity, symbolising the type of person an individual is (De Nora, 2000:68). For example, heavy music has been found to be particularly popular among youths who want to distance and reject themselves from their class background, providing themselves with a marker to show their dissimilarity to their parent culture (Roe, 1996:87). This make the music, in effect, “theirs,” constructing themselves as the “other,” not part of mainstream culture (Bark, 1999: 1).

that's the text in question

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
the uni doesnt see it like that though, you have previously submitted the text in question for assessment, which is counted as plagiarism.
im not saying i agree with it, but you have very little to argue.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Do any UTS people know where we can get access to it at UTS?
ash, you can't access it unless your lecturer has started up a 'virtual classroom' for your particular class. it's not that exciting anyway :p

i know at uts the law and design faculties are implementing it slowly. it's a mostly american thing thoguh- most uni's in america use it now.

santaslayer

HSC
Using your own words from a previous essay to another one is consdered plagarism? I didn't even know that! How is it plagarism if it is your own work? In fact, I consider it to be ecologically viable! :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, ecologically viable. Saving all those seconds it would have taken you to type the stuff out differently. Or maybe stopping the overuse of electrons by monitors left on for that extra half hour. I don't know how any of this is "ecologically viable", since there's no paper or anything. :p

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
A student plagiarises if he or she gives the impression that the ideas, words or work of another person are the ideas, words or work of the student.

Plagiarism includes:

copying any material from books, journals study notes or tapes, the web, the work of other students, or any other source without indicating this by quotation marks or by indentation, italics or spacing and without acknowledging that source by footnote or citation;
rephrasing ideas from books, journals, study notes or tapes, the web, the work of other students, or any other source without acknowledging the source of those ideas by footnotes or citations; or
unauthorised collaboration with other students that goes beyond the discussion of general strategies or other general advice.

thats the newy uni guidelines and by the looks of it i should be ok. it says nothing about re-using your own work, only the work of other students

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
dunno...i guess it just depends on what your overall plagiarism count is
however, if you look at the coversheets, they state "I certify that this assessment item has not been submitted previously for academic credit in this or any other course"
but yeah, as long as your plagiarism count is fairly low, they wont give a stuff (although they may mark you down slightly on that particular section, i was in the bio lab the other day and there were quite a few reports from people that are redoing bio, and they had on the front 'the same as last year, why would you bother repeating the course if you didnt intend on learning anything?', so they may dock your marks, but yeah, provided the overall score isnt 'excessive', they wont haul your butt to the disciplinary committee or anything.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
dunno...i guess it just depends on what your overall plagiarism count is
however, if you look at the coversheets, they state "I certify that this assessment item has not been submitted previously for academic credit in this or any other course"
but yeah, as long as your plagiarism count is fairly low, they wont give a stuff (although they may mark you down slightly on that particular section, i was in the bio lab the other day and there were quite a few reports from people that are redoing bio, and they had on the front 'the same as last year, why would you bother repeating the course if you didnt intend on learning anything?', so they may dock your marks, but yeah, provided the overall score isnt 'excessive', they wont haul your butt to the disciplinary committee or anything.
yeah like, i just happened to be making the exact same point in this essay as i was in the last, i dont see why i should have to rephrase when it is my own work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)