Places to do MBBS (1 Viewer)

L.U.G

Hi guys

I know some people have already mentioned which unis with MBBS but you might want links to the faculty of the unis too. Go to Applying: University Information for the links to all the universities. I think I missed JCU, anyways here is the link to the JCU - School of Medicine.

In 2005, there will be more graduate entry medicine schools.

Griffifth University
http://www.gu.edu.au/school/hsc/medicine/

The University of Notre Dame
http://web.nd.edu.au/acadc/med/index.shtml

The University of Western Australia
http://www.meddent.uwa.edu.au/

In reply to:
and is USyd med significantly easier to get into since its grad entry only?
Graduate-entry medicine is hard to get into because of GAMSAT. But there are far more places available for graduate-entry medicine (though there are less grad-entry unis but that would change in 2005).

In reply to:
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
how do docs work? i mean, is a 20 hr shift a 20 hr shift?
like, they walk around the big big hospital, then after 3 hrs of chatting up some nurses (nice ones :) ) they r called up to poke that thing around their neck on someone's chest, or stab some guy with a needle or what not... then another 4 and so hours of the void. :p

or have i got the idea all full wrong? :(
Err...I think you kind of got the idea Giant Lobster however I think doctors are a bit more busy than that..I don't think they have 4 hour voids..lol. To answer the question how do docs work is hard. It depends on what type of doctor you are. A GPs day compared to a heart surgeons day would be very different. If you want to know more about life as a doctor, then go to Life as a doctor/medical student. It is a forum with lots of articles about doctor's lives etc etc..

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
Isn't UOW bringing in a Graduate Programme for MBBS?
if that is so, do u think UOW's undergraduate courses will have higher uai cutoffs coz of the demand increase due to the appeal of a graduate MBBS?

Giant Lobster

HSC
There seems to be agreeance that the GAMSAT is really hard.... why? what is the GAMSAT? Is it like the UMAT? or what? Can it be studied for? (technically)

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
GAMSAT tests you on knowledge mostly. (hence very dissimilar to UMAT)

They test you in essay writing on current events n stuff, biology, chemistry and physics (usually first year or HSC level)
It's hard because even if you do well, there's an interview waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, making it as Hellish as getting into undergraduate medicine (I assume)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah its a private catholic university....I saw it last time when I was in Fremantle (just south of perth)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
if that is so, do u think UOW's undergraduate courses will have higher uai cutoffs coz of the demand increase due to the appeal of a graduate MBBS?
Your Undergraduate institution is irrelevant when applying to sit the GAMSAT. There's no special treatment if you are applying to take Grad Med in the same Uni you did your Undergrad degree.
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
There seems to be agreeance that the GAMSAT is really hard.... why? what is the GAMSAT? Is it like the UMAT? or what? Can it be studied for? (technically)
Yes, it is hard, and yes, you can study for it. The reason ACER releases study materials is the GAMSAT is not entirely personality based (ie UMAT) but also tests your expression of personal opinion and reasoning.
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
GAMSAT tests you on knowledge mostly. (hence very dissimilar to UMAT)

They test you in essay writing on current events n stuff, biology, chemistry and physics (usually first year or HSC level)
It's hard because even if you do well, there's an interview waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, making it as Hellish as getting into undergraduate medicine (I assume)
It's not all knowledge based, the essay sections test your eloquence and clarity. Basically the way you express yourself is at least as important (in the essay sections) as what you know. The really important thing is achieving a high standard in all examined fields.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
your GPA.....which is a measure of how well u perform in ur undergraduate studies

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
your GPA.....which is a measure of how well u perform in ur undergraduate studies
For entry to Graduate Medicine you must pass three levels.

1) GPA. Unless your GPA is 5.5 or greater (on a 7 point scale) you will not be allowed to sit the GAMSAT.

2) Applicants with a GPA of at lease 5.5 will be allowed to sit the Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admission Test. This is a two-part test with a multiple choice section and an essay section. See www.acer.edu.au for more information.

3) Candidates who score well enough in GAMSAT may be offered an interview at any one of the Australian Graduate Medical Schools. Candidates must be able to convince the interviewers that they are suitable for entry to the Graduate Medical program at that university. Entry and selection policies vary between institutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)