Piracy (2 Viewers)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
There are only a couple bands that I have a lot of songs for. For the most part my music library is made up of less than 5 songs from a lot of different bands. A lot of them probably haven't been relased as singles and I certainly wouldn't buy an album for 1 or 2 songs.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
how do dirt cheap cd's do it? they're $10. do they go under the theory that people would profit that way, or is it something entirely different
apparently they are illegit...fakes and hot copies...

slip

HSC
sorry u_i_c i have no idea how they do it. do they sell latest release cds or new cds?

jb hi-fi and kmart and stuff sell for $20, but they make money in other areas so arent looking for huge profts purely from cd sales...

wanton-wonton

HSC
AsyLum said:
Whilst piracy isnt 'legal' the biggest losers are the record industry, and that is why they are fighting toot-and-nail to stop it legally.
But Lars Ulrich isn't the record industry. He is himself.

wanton-wonton

HSC
AsyLum said:
I'm interested in the new format, ala digital, of music production, because CDs are on the way out, MP3 players are in their prime, but the development of SACD and DVDA seems to appeal to the high-end markets. The source of most mp3's are from self ripped CD's, but if the current trend of pay2listen continues, and the phasing out of CDs in favour of purely digital is brought about, the music companies may be able to put a stranglehold on it again, but would lose quite a bit of profit before making it back id assume.

Its quite an interesting development, kinda like the Vinyl > CD transition, it'll be interesting to see this play through.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but are you saying MP3s will replace Audio CDs? I don't think that's possible, since there are many audiophiles out there who aren't satisfied with poorly compressed and tagged MP3s freely available on the net. Even if it's pay-to-listen. In otherwords, MP3s are "shit" unless it's uber. (They suck too sometimes).

mizosoup

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
how do dirt cheap cd's do it? they're $10. do they go under the theory that people would profit that way, or is it something entirely different
they're imported from indonesia. and their new releases are $15

but then again indonesia isn't exactly reknown for its legit cds...

big w has the cheapest cds that you can be sure are legit... "everyday low price" of $18 something. even better if you know someone who works in one of the woolies owned places. gotta love abusing staff discount cards

and digital isn't flawless when it comes to mp3s. like wanton-wonton said, they're crap quality and they do degrade as they get burnt and re-burnt. not sure of the technicalities but something to do with them being compressed files

urf

Just urf
Green Hell (It's like every hell...but kinda green
HSC
Generally the only cds I've seen for $10-$15 are just ones which were popular 6 months to 1 year ago, and thats only because that cd isnt on the charts anymore and the store has excess stock, they go back to regular price after they sell a bunch.

Though if you're talking about brand new cds for that price there may be something suss about them.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
downloading has actually caused me to buy MORE music, not less. Before I would just listen to whatever was on the radio, cos there was nop way i'd pay 30 bucks for something without knowing that I was going to like it, but now I can download whatever I want, and if I really like it then i'll generally buy it. Downloading means that if someone tells me to check out a band, I can have one of their songs on my computer in like a minute, and if it turns out that I really like them i mught pay fro some of their CDs, and if they end up being crap then I can just delete their stuff without having lost any money.

Last edited:

7th Sign

HSC
I support artists by going to their concerts....i have legit reasons for downloading the music i do because they dont sell it in australia and i have to wait ages for them to import it....i will buy cds if they come out which they never usually do.....

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
Personally, if i had never been able to access songs via the internet, i dread to think what type of music that i would be into. I don't even know if i would be into music. Fair enough downloading music gives the artists & RIAA, the shits, but hey, the I-pod has put the icing on the cake really. It's just encouraging people the download songs etc. I think by being able to use the internet to listen, download music, you discover so many cool bands that without this technology you would have never discovered. Some artists, like the internet because it helps get them 'known' and they even put mp3s up for download.

It's not like CD sales are going to come to an end, i believe if you really love a band, no matter how tight/povo you are, if you really love them; you will still buy their cd or goto one of their gigs or buy some of their merch etc... either way your still contibuting money to them. Well maybe oneday a shop selling blank cd's will make more money than leading edge or HMV :p, but i doubt it.

Seriously but, even if they cracked down on music and downloading songs, they would never win. They only sue the big shots, the people who are running the servers, and are incharge of such p2p programs which host the music files to be downloaded.

Theres so many bands today, that have mp3's for download on their website, there's more than you can poke a stick at.

Peace.

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
Fuck lag :(

Last edited:

INXS

King For A Day
HSC
dam lag triple post sorry

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
wanton-wonton said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but are you saying MP3s will replace Audio CDs? I don't think that's possible, since there are many audiophiles out there who aren't satisfied with poorly compressed and tagged MP3s freely available on the net. Even if it's pay-to-listen. In otherwords, MP3s are "shit" unless it's uber. (They suck too sometimes).
No no not at all, im saying digital formats will be the next generation, whether that be in the form of digital physical audio formats like SACD and DVDA or formats like mp3, ogg, aac, wma.

Yes mp3's are nothing compared to FLAC or even MPC but not everyone will be caring too much. The point i was trying to make was to what medium will the music industry take to in 10-15 years will be a very interesting move :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
mizosoup said:
and digital isn't flawless when it comes to mp3s. like wanton-wonton said, they're crap quality and they do degrade as they get burnt and re-burnt. not sure of the technicalities but something to do with them being compressed files
It depends on what format you save quality music in. I have a few 5.1 FLAC recordings which are lossless, replaygained and exquisite to listen to (most notably Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon).

On the quality side of mp3's, VBR is pretty good for most people, in terms of normal people you won't hear the difference if you're playing it on computer. But if you plan to burn it, and then keep re-burning it, you'll only get 2 steps of quality degradation, 1 from the encoding of CD > MP3, then MP3 > CD, because lossy formats like mp3 and wma, work by limiting the range of the song so they usually cut out the upper and lower parts of music. Now this can be compensated on computer somewhat and high end systems, but by burning it onto CD, you get a lesser quality than the original and the mp3. But reburning that same CD shouldn't bring about loss of quality, unless you're burning it in a detrimental way.

wanton-wonton

HSC
AsyLum said:
No no not at all, im saying digital formats will be the next generation, whether that be in the form of digital physical audio formats like SACD and DVDA or formats like mp3, ogg, aac, wma.
I think DVDA and SACD, and not mp3, ogg, aac and wma, for the reason I've already stated.

AsyLum said:
Yes mp3's are nothing compared to FLAC or even MPC but not everyone will be caring too much. The point i was trying to make was to what medium will the music industry take to in 10-15 years will be a very interesting move :)
Yes, I see your point now. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)