• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PIP topic (1 Viewer)

ashley23

HSC
Hey everyone... i hope i've done this right... well, i am SERIOUSLY freaking out over PIP. I should've done heaps by now but instead i've changed my topic 5 times!!! I REALLY wanted to do something about multiculturalism, or more specifically, ethnic backgrounds, but my teacher said no.
If anyone is able to, could you throw some suggestions this way? I would appreciate it so much.
At the moment my topic seems to be the Country Women's Association, but it's just so boring!
I am really starting to worry about this stupid PIP.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Why isn't your teacher allowing you to do multiculturalism? Is it because your PIP topic is not focus enough? Please note that you cannot just pick a word or two and expect your teacher to approve your topic. If you are truly passionate about it, design a relevant, specific PIP topic on multiculturalism and be able to defend your topic when your teacher disapprove it. For example, how is your topic relevant to Society and Culture; how are you planning to conduct your social and cultural research; what are you expect to find and how is the outcome of your PIP contribute to your social and cultural literacy.

Go with what you like but start your PIP once you have an approachable topic. I'm certain your teacher will change his/her mind if you have a solid, specific and relevant topic on multiculturalism/ethnic backgrounds.

Good luck.

ashley23

HSC
i was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on this as a PIP topic:

Mind, body and soul- why are people turning to alternative medicines and eastern philosophies for well being?

there are heaps of concepts i could incorporate, the biggest being change over time.
i was advised not to pick anything too religious as i might get an atheist marker who could be biased? is this true, as i read about a few PIPs to do with religion and i thought you were supposed to steer clear of religion. maybe it was just my teacher.

anyway, any feedback would be great.

thanks

Last edited:

Princess Max

HSC
I don't know about steering clear of religious topics, but you are just supposed to be accepting of difference and deal with fact and interpretation not your own particular religious opinion. Having a view is ok in certain parts of the pip but not bias. As for the topic your talking about if you are passionate about it and you think you can study that one topic for the next 7 months or so, go for it, because as someone who has been there i know that the pip gets very trying and if you are impartial to its topic, its hard to find enthusiasm to finish it when you have your teacher breathing down your neck wanting drafts and you are sick of seeing publications that you have read and interpreted a thousend different ways and are still getting told it doesnt stand up. Just be sure you can study it without getting bored brainless by the mere mention of the topic.

Kulazzi

HSC
regarding the religion issue, just don't be too obsessive, or too much of a fanatic (EG. like Osama Bin Laden). If you are doing religion, I'd suggest to choose more than one rather than focussing on the one religion and like compare the two. For example, Compare the Torah to the Bible or the Qu'ran. That way, you have more of a cross-cultural perspective form each side :) And yeah, as Princess Max mentioned as long as your passionate with it and confident that you can work with it until August, just don't become obsessive

blink rock

HSC
PIP topic help!!!!!

i am so so confused!!! and am starting to get really worried as most of the students in my class have had solid ideas for their pip since we were given the information. i have thought of a topic:

_societal pressures and expectations placed on teenages across generations coming from a small town perspective.

i was planning on interviewing my friend and her mother, as they have both spent their whole lives in a small rural town and was going to see how pressures to look, think and act that are influenced by the media etc are changed or kept same throughout generations. yet i need some backgroubnd information, so was wondering if n e one had n e ideas? like if they had read a book or visited a website that seemed relevant to my topic. i like the sound of my topic but have no idea really where to start!!! anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!! and goodluck for all those doing the pip! i feel sorry for you its terrible!!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The best thing you could do is research some secondary information, such as journals, and forumulate a theory of your own about what you think you will find at the end of this. When you are sure what you are going to ask your interviewees, go ahead with it.

Just a few questions:
- What kind of pressure and expectation are you investigating? Please make your focus question explicit. For example, if you are talking about academic pressure and expectation, then one would think city teenagers would emhasise more.

- And the media influence that you were talking about is also unclear, due to the ambiguity of your topic.

Don't panic, you still have plenty of time to produce a great PIP. I would be happy to answer more questions. Good luck!

Nullachick

HSC
N/A
help... pip gone down the drain

hey
im so lost with this pip! for starters i dont even understand 99% of it! i am the worst at writing and im lost with the topic i dont know weather to choose maori culture and rituals or the south african... neilson mandella go... before december i was doing the kiwi topic cause i was really interested in it and wanted to know more but then i traveled to south africa and nz in one go for a month i lurnt about the south african ways and all and then i went to nz and lurnt all i need to know... like now i know mostly about it i dont see why i should spent 9 months going a assiment on it i think i will just get bored... so mayby South Frica is the way to go plus i have had first hand experance and so on... if anyone can help me here please get back to me... or if anyone has any recources tell us...

thanks a bunch

Jana

ashley23

HSC
Hey Jana...
I reckon if you think you're gonna get bored with the NZ topic maybe you should stick to the South Africa one instead.
Both sound pretty interesting, but in the end it'll be you spending the time doing it, and if you lose the motivation or get bored, you just won't be happy.
I am stuck at the moment as well... i've sort of picked a topic, but now i have to refine it and i'm not sure how.
Think about which topic you would honestly rather do, not that you'd never have heard any of this before.
Good luck, I completely understand your confusion, 'cos i already feel like i'm running out of time.

ashley23

HSC
hey, maybe you could somehow do a comparison of the two. I have no idea how, but maybe you could incorporate both NZ and South Africa and that way use all your experience and knowledge.
just a thought.

Nullachick

HSC
N/A
well yeah i did think of that cause what im interested in is the black and white issue and with the maoris they are talking about not alowing the blacks to take part in the haka before most events and when i went and played waterpolo in south africa the rule was they have to have atleast one black in the open SA team which is bullshit but then i sat down and looked at the both of them they both have a difernt story so im disiding to do my pic on the apartide even the after apartide...
what are u thinking of doing...
and what school u at...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)