PIP Ideas 2006 (merged) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitro.vo

HSC
For those of you in year 12 studying SaC, your should have started your PIP's by at elast gathering ideas of what you want to do.

I've got 2 ideas.

1. Why males are more dominant in the tech industry compared to women
2. something to do with national service in singapore.

My school is also flying the SaC head of HSC guy over to talk to us and he sets the HSC course and marks the pips.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Pick the topic that is most relevant to the HSC syllabus where you can draw from the concepts that you have learnt and apply them in your PIP.

nitro.vo

HSC
Well my teacher keeps going on about how my class of about 15 people are the only people outside ofaustralia doing society and culture for the HSC so we can do something interesting that the markers have never seen, not abortion and suicide and all that boring over done crap, something new that you can only have a good udnerstanding by researching here.

freaked

HSC
nitro.vo said:
Well my teacher keeps going on about how my class of about 15 people are the only people outside ofaustralia doing society and culture for the HSC so we can do something interesting that the markers have never seen, not abortion and suicide and all that boring over done crap, something new that you can only have a good udnerstanding by researching here.
Hmmm, I did that 'boring over done crap' :rolleyes:
I think something new and interesting is a great idea, as long as you are interested in it and can get inough info.

Also, find out about the PIP days and HSC days and try and get your school to attend, my school didn't even know about them until I came on here and read posts discussing how they went.

Last edited:

nitro.vo

HSC
freaked said:
Hmmm, I did that 'boring over done crap' :rolleyes:
I think something new and interesting is a great idea, as long as you are interested in it and can get inough info.

Also, find out about the PIP days and HSC days and try and get your school to attend, my school didn't even know about them until I came on here and read posts discussing how they went.

Thats why we are flying over the 2 guys in charge of the pip instead of flying a full class to sydney ^_^

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
nitro.vo said:
Yes. But originality can also stem from how you execute your PIP and how you presented your topic in a different perspectives to all others. You don't necessary have to have a completely brand new topic such that no one has ever seen before in order to achieve high marks.

emmylou87

i think the most important thing to consider wen ur cjossing ur pip topic is.. does it interest u and will it keep u interested..
i did mine this yeat and did 'the impact of mobile phones on teenagers life styles'.. can totally relate to the topic (as i cant be detatched from my mobile)..
So i enjoyed doing it

sarahlouiseir

HSC
Woohoo PIP's are the best
mine was "Breasts, their social and cultural roles"
Teacher said that the markers would be interested to read it....as it is so different

I DEFINATLY suggest picking a topic which stands out...
i have thought of a few
-Fag hags
-Homosexual christians
-religion in Popular culture "jesus is my homeboy", hillsong being no 1 album
-Virginity {social and cultural perceptions an
-lipstick lesbians
{yes many sex related...but i think theyre interesting...thought of them because i am such an avid fan of friday night SBS doco's}
if you want help thinking of topics just contact me and ill b happy to help:D

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
i did mine on tweens.

my tip: PICK SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN, forget all this syllabus crap for the moment. any good teacher or student can find links to the syllabus.
you need to have a topic that you are passionate about, or at least interested in, or you will end up hating ur PIP or changing your topic.

MAKE SURE YOUR TOPIC IS ONE THAT GRABS UR.....ATTENTION!!! if it gets ur attention then the markers will sense your enthusiasm and you will (should) be rewarded.

bre

The other reason that you go with your interests doesn't get mentioned so much is that if you are actually really interested in your research and findings it will be so much easier for you to actually compose an extensive piece of writing about it.

There's a lot more to the PIP than just finding some statsistics about something interesting... a lot of it is in the way you present your topic... your writing needs to show character and passion to stand out.

I loved writing mine and bitching about horrible Australian Idol is.

The PIP can be the greatest, most rewarding thing you do for the next year, or it can be your worst nightmare....

Goodluck!

Laids

HSC
hey everyone

For my pip im thinking of doing something with technology..........
maybe something like what affect technology has had on teenagers and their education, and then contrast todays teenagers to those of previous generations.

Any ideas or other suggestions along these lines?

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
nitro.vo said:
For those of you in year 12 studying SaC, your should have started your PIP's by at elast gathering ideas of what you want to do.

I've got 2 ideas.

1. Why males are more dominant in the tech industry compared to women
2. something to do with national service in singapore.

My school is also flying the SaC head of HSC guy over to talk to us and he sets the HSC course and marks the pips.
My teacher said we should be able to relate our PIP to at least one depth study (preferably one you're doing). For example, you could relate your first idea to Equality and Difference as well as Belief Systems. You could focus it specifically on Singapore, and investigate the impact Singapore's traditionally patriarchal culture has on women in the tech industry, how do Singaporean mores about a woman's place in society affect the type of career she chooses, etc. (Just make sure you always incorporate course concepts, even in the focus question.)

In the markers comments for every year, it says that a topic doesn't have to be so original that it's never been attempted before. Like Survivor39 said, it's more about how you approach your topic.

miss_shady72

HSC
I'm doing the perceptions of child poverty around the north shore. Does anyone think that's ok or have any tips? Thanks!

fergie

HSC
Laids said:
hey everyone

For my pip im thinking of doing something with technology..........
maybe something like what affect technology has had on teenagers and their education, and then contrast todays teenagers to those of previous generations.

Any ideas or other suggestions along these lines?
Heyy! im looking for a PIP topic desperately , i wanted to do something to do with abstinance , or teens obsessions with love and sex , it seems to be the only thing that everyone is ready to jump in and talk about casually ey.. ( so if anyone reads this and would like to help ME please do!!! !! )
but for your pip , i was looking at teenagers etc and along the lines of technology effecting teens , how about teens addicted to Msn!?!
and how it effects their social skills etc , cos we think we're being socialable , but having 15 poeple at our fingertips , but are we really , when we're sitting at home alone at a desk? i thought about doing this one myself... but im not sure how far one could take it.. you know?
but good luck !! - mikaela

wilted.sour

HSC
No Idea.

I have no idea what to do for my PIP. How did some of you get your ideas? I've read quite a few PIPS and all of them were realy well thought out and executed originally..arrrg.

>_< Panic!

Mia.

Kulazzi

HSC
just write down a list of ideas. Write down anything that you may be passionate about. Then choose one which you know that you'll stick with throughout the year and that you can write about enthusiastically. I've seen one girl in my class who, when doing our PIPs in class, always started off in a sour mood and really never ended up getting that far.

Laids

HSC
Re: PIP Ideas 2006

fergie said:
Heyy! im looking for a PIP topic desperately , i wanted to do something to do with abstinance , or teens obsessions with love and sex , it seems to be the only thing that everyone is ready to jump in and talk about casually ey.. ( so if anyone reads this and would like to help ME please do!!! !! )
but for your pip , i was looking at teenagers etc and along the lines of technology effecting teens , how about teens addicted to Msn!?!
and how it effects their social skills etc , cos we think we're being socialable , but having 15 poeple at our fingertips , but are we really , when we're sitting at home alone at a desk? i thought about doing this one myself... but im not sure how far one could take it.. you know?
but good luck !! - mikaela
Hey, thanks for that, i actually already thought about doing something like that, it isnt a bad topic, altho it may be a lil hard to do.

Altho i guess u could compare the teenagers who are always on msn, and their parents and get both of their opinions, or ppl who are always on msn and those who dont have it. but . . . . . . i think i already have the topic i wanan do now

Im going to look at the internet and UAI because they have been around for around the same time. See if internet becoming more common has increased marks. or if its had a negative affect due to using it for entertainment purposes ( MSN Adiction ) instead of educational reasons.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
Re: PIP Ideas 2006

s1mplykat said:
*arrrgggghhh... still dont have an idea..
i know uve probably heard this before, but:
write out a list of all the things that interest you and ud like to know more about
write another list of all the things that are happening in the world today that interest you and ud like to know more about...

from either list pick something which u think ud really enjoy researching which would be challenging but not too hard for yourself...

the markers don't necessarily want something contemporary like abortion or the war on terror or whatever, but if you do a topic like that and do it well, they will see that...
on the other hand, if you chose something of interest to you, don't make it something which other people wouldnt pick up to read.
my teacher showed us some past PiPs of years gone by - there were some great ones - immigrants feelings on coming into a dominantly white australia, muslims vs. christians feelings on the war on terror, graffiti, whatever... then there was one which stood out - SKIING... yes, u read correctly.. some dude did his PiP - the dominant mark giver of the entire SaC course on skiing...

what this ramble is all about is try to come to a crossroads between something contemporary and something that interests you...
if you still cant find anything, turn a twist on something modern... try to look at an idea from a viewpoint never conceived before...

- end ramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)