PIP being not 'personal' enough. (1 Viewer)

ashimation

HSC
My teacher has read my intro, chapter 1 and 2, and has made a comment saying:

"a major problem is that it is very 'out there' and not relevant at all to you apart from academic interest. How does this relate to you"

My topic is civil disobedience which encompasses protests, rallies, riots etc. I guess I need help in making it personal -- what does that mean? I'm interested in it, I find it to be a good way to get messages out there. But I can't just say that can I? Please give me any suggestions you might have, I'm really struggling to find a way to relate this to me!

Kulazzi

HSC
have you been to any rally or protests? has anyone you know been to rallies or protests? Have you/others observed the behaviour of some people at these protests? The portrayal of these protests through the media - they mostly show people who are dressed mockingly as the prime minister/president. Use as a visual example.

Your view on, personally, how the media portrays these 'events?' (don't think it's the right word though).

I remember when I went to the 'No War in iraq' protest (I think it was 2003) someone was talking on the ministage thingy and a man next to me yelled out "Stop talkin' and start walkin'" (where we had to walk to hyde parke or somewhere after that). What view can you take on from here if someone, who was standing next to you, said that?

Sorry I'm not providing much answers but mostly questions which, hopefully, you can answer form your perspective and weave them within your Pip

Good luck!

cowchicken

HSC
N/A
Does your pip have to be "personal"?
Cause i dont think my is... and i dont think it relates to me much...

So is it cruical that your pip has to, in some way, relate to you?

jaihson

HSC
It is a personal INTEREST project. as long as u have chosen something in which u are interested, something that stems from ur microworld in some way, and something that is contributing to ur greater sense of social and cultural literacy, then it should be fine in my opinion.

i think the emphasis is more on the word "interest" than "personal" in the title. what does everyone else think?

dalew777

HSC
Yeah, I definetely agree it should be more about Interest, because the topic has to be something you can constructively write about with a sustained, interested attitude. Our teacher has stressed the importance of having 'passion' about what your PIP is about, which should have been obvious when you chose your topic anyway.

However I also think a level of personal engagement with your topic may help in pushing your marks up towards band 5-6 range so dont shy away from it at any cost. I guess certain topics lend themselves more to personal opinion, but all should deal with the interest you have in them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)