Pieces for bass guitar (1 Viewer)

yt23w

hey, i know this is leaving it kind of late but, i need some help choosing pieces. i have chosen popular music, rock music and music of the 21st centuary. i am an advanced bass player but any suggestions will help.

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
ok well... do Maxwell Murders by Rancid.. it would be amazing if you did it.. and did it well..
and it fits into Rock music and Music of the 21st century

dediho

HSC
bass guitar

Jet => are u guna b my gurl or roll ova dj

to be honest though. angel by shaggy is a really good song to play on bass

the sax man

I played for a bass player last year. I can only remember 3 of the pieces; Gloria's Step by Bill Evans, Earth Jam by Bela Fleck, and the Jaco Pastorius Donna Lee duet with percussion. The fourth was a John Pattituci one.
For certain instruments, especially rhythm sections, you gotta look at the greats, cause they'll have the pieces made for the piece. Id suggest Pastorius, Garrison, Carter, but Im a huge jazz fan. For rock, Id say go for Chilli Peppers. Flea pulls of some crazy stuff. Its all a matter of research. And ingenuity.

yt23w

yeah, thanks, i'll look at those pieces.

i just did my core rock performance with "interstate love song" by the stone temple pilots. i did it with acoustic guitar and vocals (and bass) and it went pretty well and sounded good.

to: dediho

Jet => are you gonna be my girl is a great bass song and i have considered it. also angel by shaggy is actualy the bass line from joker by steve miller band. (and with the melody taken from another song.) and that aint performance worthy tho.

iH

Oldie
HSC
Go here:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=583798#post583798

As far as the other songs.

Jet ain't gonna get you a good mark unless ur teachers have no idea - it's a simple blues.

Donna Lee is good - but fast - many bass players spend a lot of itme trying to get it all up to speed mostly because harmonically and rhythmically it's quite random.

Earth Jam is a good one, very good in fact - easier if you can find the chart.

Doing a standard rock song won't work, unless the bass is really obvious AND you're adding tricky fills etc. You have to do a bass solo.

"portrait of Tracey" by Jaco Pastorius is good, but make sure the markers realise the hardness of hitting a 2nd fret harmonic cleanly - otherwise it'll go over their head.

If you're going to do a rock thing, make sure it either has:

1) Good Chops - speed
2) A bass solo
I did "Overture 1928" by Dream Theater and it is really fast in sections, but also has supporting sections and i arranged the guitar solo for bass...and i did really well for it... So maybe that's what you should look into.

PM me if u have any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)