Picking Up Law?? (1 Viewer)

raja85

I am planning to go in to commerce at unsw and was just wondering if it is possible to pick up law at second year. If so what are the requirements for it and how hard is it to achieve those requirements

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, u have to apply thru UAC next year, and put Law as ur first preference. Then, at uni, with ur UAI, u'd need to maintain a high credit to Distinction average for all ur subjects (ie, a GPA of prolly 5.75-6.00) to be assured an offer for 2005

jpr333

HSC
But seriously how hard is that to do? I have no idea of how uni work compares to HSC. All i hear is uni is 'easy and fun' 'hsc was much harder' 'blah', but this is probably from ppl who only need to pass/dont care about transfers

rukawasan

Top Stuff
HSC
dont have personal experience but told its easy to pass but gota work hard 2 do well...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, generally, u have to find that out for yourself...ppl are different I guess..because "how hard" depends on how much effort u put in. Reasonably smart ppl can do jack all and manage to get Passes and Credits, and whereas, if u do some serious study, u'll end up with Distinctions and mayb some High Distinctions.. It also depends on your degree

So basically, if u are focussed, and want to transfer, u'll work hard, and u'll get distinctions... but how hard depends on ur degree

jpr333

HSC
Yeh proabably end up doing some sort of Commerce degree, with the possiblity of transferring to law after 1st year. Managed a UAI of 98.1 without working too hard, but I dont know if i will have the motivation next year. Was looking for a cruisy sort of year you know :p Dilemma is whether to do straight out comm/law at Mac or try at syd/nsw (who both accepted eas) or start out in comm and figure out what i want to do. Opting for the latter atm but maintaing a distinction avg just for the possibibility of a law transfer, dont know if its worth it

guesswho

HSC
does anyone know how many successful transfers into commerce/law at UNSW there are each year?

Cause i want to get in but didn't get in the 99s and was thinking of doing commerce at UNSW and then transfer,,but noticing the large number of people with similar intentions,, I'm doubting whether it'll be possible.

Also if I choose to do law at UTS and then try to transfer after year 1,,, who would have a better getting into commerce/law at UNSW? (comparing to someone who chose to do just commerce at UNSW.)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
Well, generally, u have to find that out for yourself...ppl are different I guess..because "how hard" depends on how much effort u put in. Reasonably smart ppl can do jack all and manage to get Passes and Credits, and whereas, if u do some serious study, u'll end up with Distinctions and mayb some High Distinctions.. It also depends on your degree

So basically, if u are focussed, and want to transfer, u'll work hard, and u'll get distinctions... but how hard depends on ur degree

Minai whats the UAI for Commerce at UNSW?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by guesswho
does anyone know how many successful transfers into commerce/law at UNSW there are each year?

Cause i want to get in but didn't get in the 99s and was thinking of doing commerce at UNSW and then transfer,,but noticing the large number of people with similar intentions,, I'm doubting whether it'll be possible.

Also if I choose to do law at UTS and then try to transfer after year 1,,, who would have a better getting into commerce/law at UNSW? (comparing to someone who chose to do just commerce at UNSW.)
Well, Im not sure about the amount of successful transfers..but I do know that the 2003 transferral cutoff for law was 95.80 - this is an average of your UAI and 1st year GPA...a GPA of 6.0 (exactly a distinction average) equates to a rank of 96. Say u got a UAI of 98, and u got a distinction average...ur selection rank would be [98 + 96]/2 = 97, putting u way over the cutoff. Of course it will rise for next year, but still..if u do fairly well, its pretty easy to transfer.

as for your last question - it doesnt matter where u go or what u do in first year, u have equal chance with everyone else who applies, because ur transfer depends on your UAI and first year GPA

Originally posted by amoz_lilo
Minai whats the UAI for Commerce at UNSW?
The 2002 cutoff was 94.5
The 2003 cutoff was 95.5
2004? hmm

guesswho

HSC
Originally posted by Minai

as for your last question - it doesnt matter where u go or what u do in first year, u have equal chance with everyone else who applies, because ur transfer depends on your UAI and first year GPA

/B]

but i mean if i chose law at UTS and then try to transfer into com/law at UNSW,, will i get all credit points for my 1st year at uts?ie will i hav to spend extra time at uni?
(If u choose commerce at UNsw and then transfer,,, u keep all credits and not hav to spend extra time at uni right?)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by guesswho
but i mean if i chose law at UTS and then try to transfer into com/law at UNSW,, will i get all credit points for my 1st year at uts?ie will i hav to spend extra time at uni?
(If u choose commerce at UNsw and then transfer,,, u keep all credits and not hav to spend extra time at uni right?)
In short - i dont think so..I dont think u can get full credit if u transfer from UTS, but u are more likely to get full credit for ur commerce subjects if u transferred within UNSW to law
and yes, if u transferred internally, u'd still finish uni in the 5 years

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just a small note - if you don't do any law subjects in your first year (i.e. you choose something other than law as your base degree, and attempt to transfer later) you'll have to either overload during a semester or take a summer school course in order to finish within the 5 years.

The universities seem to neglect to tell people this until after they've transferred...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)