Picking up History Extension (1 Viewer)

Mike iE

HSC
I'm doing Modern at the moment and i'm looking at picking up up extension for year 12. I enjoy modern and do fairly well in it.

Can anyone offer some pros and cons of doing it, and any advice.

Also what does it scale like ?

Thanks

Last edited:

sif not 99

i would do it if you really like history and are prepared to put in some heavy duty hours to get a *decent* major work completed, otherwise you are pretty much screwed.

it can help with your 2 unit studies as well depending on what module your class ends up doing. At my school we had two classes a modern and an ancient one. I did the Peloponnesian War for 2unit ancient and our 3u module was extremely connected to that on Thucydides (i.e. the dude that wrote THE ONLY decent source of the Peloponnesian War) so that was a big help.

Obviously depending on how well u go it will or wont help your UAI. I got 47 or 48 i cant remember which one but I guess it would have helped me out quite a bit UAI wise, it was fun anyways

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Im in year 11 as well, if i wanted to try Ext for like a month to a term, to ee if i like/enjoy/am good at it. But if im not drop it, can i do that, i think i would be able too but i just want to make sure. And wats the assessments like is it just those major project things, what do they entail???

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
extension history is Evvvvviiiiiiiilllllllll i tellz u!
lol im still doing it but urgh morning class..... and we are doing Elizabeth as a class and thats a bore.....
my individual thing is on richard 3 and i dunno what im doing on him..... sigh lol
at my school we have half yearlys, an essay, the trial and the major work in terms of assessments

malayz_angel

Enjoying history is probably the most important factor in doing Extension. I don't know precisely how well it scales, it probably just depends on how well u do in it and how well everyone else ranks against u. But trust me, if u don't really like history and are only doing extension in the hopes that it will scale u up, DON'T EVEN BOTHER.

I gave the same advice in the 4 u English forum. If I didn't like history, I would have been bored out of my mind for the last three terms. But since I do, it's fun as u get a lot of freedom with your major project(not that I've started) and it can help u out with ur 2 u course too.

I guess I already went through the pros: freedom, helps with 2 u course and yes, in some occasions, I think it CAN scale u up

Cons: If u don't like history, it's BORING
If u don't have any free periods or can't do it after school, you'll have to do it in the MORNING like poor Mick_eT. I was lucky: we do ours on a Tuesday afternoon
and.....THAT'S IT!

You can drop extension history as long as u have min 10 units, Tenille. I don't really have time now but I'll post up some more details about the actual project/extension syllabus later. Also if u do choose extension, DO START the project on time, don't leave it till the last two weeks like me!

Yay, finally 300 posts!

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, I use to love history, but after doing it every single say, the enthusiasum (sp?) I once had quickly evaporated. Needless to say I droped it.

Extension can either further your love for history, or it can send it down the shitter. For me, it was the latter and turned me off doing it at University level as well. Which was a good thing, or else I'd prolly be choosing to go to Sydney for my nursing degree next year simply to combine it with arts... ;)

sif not 99

from all accounts that I've had history at uni is pretty dodgy anyway, Im glad i choose governmment and international relations over it....

Generator

HSC
N/A
It isn't dodgy, it's just that first year is very narrow. Well, that's Sydney, at least. New South Wales is meant to have a much broader subject range.

sif not 99

Its just that most people I know from high school who loved history are really not enjoying it at a uni level, that includes one 100 who loves it and another who seems to be rather meh about the whole thing as compared to high school, I would say that the courses appear to be too broad rather than too narrow....

KarmaKitten

HSC
I want to do extension too, although I am not really enjoying year modern history right now. Russia just doesnt appeal to me. blegh

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Your in year 11 right????? The Romanovs ws the most exciting topic we did lol

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Russia was the best part of Modern last year!! I loved doing the Romanovs!!
World War 1 is the fuckin boring topic.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
Ew romanovs. I dont mind stalin and stuff, but blegh
My other topics Bismarck and south Africa, Romanovs were sooooo much better than both those put together. I especially hated Bismark.:chainsaw:

Mike iE

HSC
Yeh we did Bismarck, Romanovs and we are doing Cuba at the moment. Cuba is really interesting, but the Romanovs aren't too bad either. Bismarck was shocking. I did Bodyline for a research assignment, it wasn't too bad.

Generator

HSC
N/A
About the USyd first year history: I meant too narrow in terms of what you can choose, rather than too narrow in terms of the unit's content.

Annabanana

Weeelll, I'm doing modern history and history extension and in 3 days time my major work is due *that means nightly heart attacks* BUT! if you enjoy history and have good common sense, willing to go out and seek your own information it can be a great subject.

We have two classes, one modern and the other ancient and (while we're feisty rivals lol) we both love our own case studies (modern is the Presidency of John Fitzgerald Kennedy). But clearly I think the best part of it all, is that you get to write about something the INTERESTS you, nothing is mandatory...in terms of subject choice. You have practically 3 terms for it, and it's another hand-in task (does anyone feel they want to worship their teacher when they give out assessments to do at home and not an essay in class???)

It's 2500 words - that is about 4 and a half pages and c'mon, I would be surprised if anyone could honestly say they have never written that many words in an essay (dun be smart;))

If anyone wants further info - just pm me, I'd be happy to help!

Generator

HSC
N/A
4.5 pages?
Ah yeah, no double spacing... Well, at my school that was overlooked as half of the class didn't bother...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)