Piano (1 Viewer)

HSC
Eh, there's lots of speedy piano music.. hell, even Moonlight Sonata has a speedy movement.

Check out some Liszt I guess, La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody's... Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu if you're into cliche stuff, heh.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
umm can you be anymore specific??

theres some good fast prokofiev stuff around
but what exactly are you after??? to play or listen to?

do u know the fast part at the beginning of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.3? very fast solemn sounding.

u do know it.. good, this is the type of music i am talking about. there is alot of pieces similar to this style, im looking for them.

HSC
Eh, I don't really know this stuff well, I mostly just pick it up from listening to my friends discuss it.

For starters get the other Rach concertos if you don't have them.

Then some Liszt maybe?

Chopin's Revolutionary Etude?

Prokofiev?

If you just want virtuous stuff, try looking for music performed by the great piano virtuosos instead of going straight for the composers.

Try looking up Arthur Rubinstein, Cziffra, Richter and Horowitz. Whatever. Jimmy will be in here shortly to help you out.

Theodopolis

HSC

Jimmy's Here

So Codereder...If it's fast Rachmaninoff you want, you can't go past his Prelude Op.23 No.2. Probably the most difficult thing he wrote for solo piano.

If you've got the Rach 3 handy, the third movement is a hell of a lot faster than the first.

If you're looking for the ultimate in speed, you cannot go past Georges Cziffra, as our plucking and picking friend so rightly mentioned.
Look out for his transcriptions, particularly Flight of the Bumble-Bee - The same speed as the normal version but in double octaves.
Horowitz transcriptions don't go amiss either.

But if it's the style of the Rach3 opening... The final (4th) movement of Chopin's Second Sonata... Liszt's 'Feux Follets' from the Transcendental Etudes... and Alkan's 3rd 'Grande Etude for Hands re-united' (Played by Marc-Andre Hamelin preferably)

Finally, what use would this list be without a direct mp3 link, so here's Chopin's 4th Etude Op.10 played by ALfred Cortot in 1937.

http://www.geocities.com/alfredcortot/1004.mp3

I hope you find use for this list

Yours

Theo/Jimmy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)