Piano obession (1 Viewer)

Dedication_

HSC
Recently I've discovered a passion of mine, thus being piano. I'm literally addicted to it. I've recently deleted my facebook, quit videogames to focus on my studies and have adopted playing the piano to keep me sane through my HSC. Basically what my question is, by learning an instrument does your intelligence someone improve? I feel as if I'm more distinguished that I now play the piano. Thoughts?

madharris

HSC
N/A
I don't think your intelligence improves but your hand eye coordination, concentration, attention to listening probably improves

converge

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure if it alters your intelligence, but it definitely keeps your stress levels down and enables you to perform at your peak academically.

Just curiously, are you learning from a teacher or self-taught?

Dedication_

HSC
Just curiously, are you learning from a teacher or self-taught?
Self-taught, and I know what everyone says, self-teaching yourself piano is a bad idea. But I refuse to pay money to learn from someone else when I'm more than capable of teaching myself with online tutorials and such.

Dedication_

HSC
what can you play
A thousand miles - Vanessa Carlton
Clocks - Coldplay
CKY - 96 Quite Bitter beings
Pendulum - The Island.

A thousand miles is still a work in progress, I wish to start to learn some higher graded songs such as The Turkish March by Mozart but I'm a long way off being that skilled.

Do you play yourself?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
umm, yes i do play

srs question: can you read sheet music

madharris

HSC
N/A
It's only a suggestion but maybe you can get one of your friends to teacher you if any of them play.
Or maybe do lessons like once a fortnight or monthly, just so you know that you're on the right track. Teachers do really help, they teacher you exercises to develop your technique as well as help you play pieces

Thief

!!
HSC
I recommend a teacher though - they help you with technique and playing properly, something that you can't really self teach. But then again, if you're just playing for fun I guess it doesn't matter =)

Dedication_

HSC
I cannot read sheet music fluently. My sister plays and is at a low grade, she is not of much help; however I have a friend who has a Bachelor in Piano and his teacher was a child prodigy who played sonata's and such (can't remember the specific name) from memory and won some prestigious award - he will be of help.

I find I like teaching my self though, it's kind of a challenge that doesn't include written study :)

planino

HSC
Aha I'm in grade 5, but I still can't read sheet music smoothly whilst playing simultaneously :L But it's a skill that's best mastered, so it's easier to focus on carrying over the emotions of the music into your playing rather than worrying too much about playing the right notes.

But yeah, piano really helps in so many different ways. However, don't let it interfere with your studies like it is with me at the moment, although you slightly seem the type who won't succumb to it.

I'm sure you enjoy it almost as much as I do, and as long as it's in controlled doses, you can reap in its benefits :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You mean sight read? Yeah sight reading is difficult... in most instances.

Especially when you have key signatures and when a 'sharp' or 'flat' is actually still a white key...

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd definitely suggest a teacher, especially if you want to play pieces that are much much more difficult. Besides, if you want to do AMus or something like that, then you MUST have a teacher. But I'm just saying that in case.

planino

HSC
Yes, I meant sight reading (how the hell did that term escape me?)

Those are the worst! But I still make simple mistakes (like reading E instead of C) so I just prefer to go over the score, memorise it and then play

planino

HSC
Ah yeah, and another advantage about teachers is that they can teach you proper piano technique. Improper playing can cause physical and/or butcher your music

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, I meant sight reading (how the hell did that term escape me?)

Those are the worst! But I still make simple mistakes (like reading E instead of C) so I just prefer to go over the score, memorise it and then play
I find that a knowledge of chord progression, and general melody and counter melody really helps when sight reading. Because you can more easily 'figure' out what the notes are.

MissSquiggly

HSC
N/A
Teachers really will help you with your technique and rhythm and etc. Good luck playing the piano :)
I enjoy it too! But since HSC started I find that there is less time to practice (Bad excuse.)
It seems like your style is mainly pop piano ? XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)