Piano as a hobby... (1 Viewer)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
I've been playing for around 15 years and i love it! I've done some AMUS and LMUS stuff but I don't really plan on doing any more exams - it feels so good without the pressure :p I haven't been to lessons in a few weeks because of exams, and I don't practice very often but I FINALLY found the sheet music for Amelie and I've been busy with that for the two days or so :D

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Well my story's a bit different.
I learned to play piano while in primary school from professional tutors, but gave it up as a bad job in year 5 or 6 after having a nasty argument with the tutor about something.
Didn't play for about 4 years after that when we somehow got a piano and somehow got the interest back, and found with a pleasant surprise that I could more or less play what I used to just before I quit it.
Now I play things when I have time, though without any new development from where I left it in primary school, and somehow I get this urge to go for AMEB exams and actually take it seriously like some of my friends, just for the sake of lifetime achievement purpose. Should really give it a shot.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
Well my story's a bit different.
I learned to play piano while in primary school from professional tutors, but gave it up as a bad job in year 5 or 6 after having a nasty argument with the tutor about something.
Didn't play for about 4 years after that when we somehow got a piano and somehow got the interest back, and found with a pleasant surprise that I could more or less play what I used to just before I quit it.
Now I play things when I have time, though without any new development from where I left it in primary school, and somehow I get this urge to go for AMEB exams and actually take it seriously like some of my friends, just for the sake of lifetime achievement purpose. Should really give it a shot.
yes, go for it! :) i used to play trumpet and my teacher kept encouraging me to do exams, take it seriously...i never really did, and now i probably couldn't even play happy birthday on it. give it a go, you never know how good you could become lol. :p

Kaleah

HSC
I taught myself to play piano when I was about 7 cause my brother got lessons. . . I have never done exams and play pieces that I love, I also find it very relaxing.

mcs

HSC
I use to do grades and stuff but got bored of it so as with most I just play for fun now..... I do find it particulary relaxing and enjoyable.... I play almost anything but lots of Chopin and a bit of Jazz (Very poorly I must say)

hannahxxx

HSC
Bendent said:
Now after the HSC and all i'm starting to play again just for fun, but will probably do diploma or something in the future.
Yea same. I wanna do my 7th and eventually 8th grade exam but I get too nervous. I hate the fact that a year of perfecting pieces can be ruined by nerves on the day..sigh.

I reckon not doing exams is a gr8 way to enjoy the piano aswel.

For me when ANY type of piano music sinks into my brain I can't really think of anything else.
Whether you play for leisure or do exams it can be a great form of stress relief-faster songs can hype you up/give you motivation whereas slower pieces can be an emotional outlet(they have the ability to block out the outside world).

I prefer the piano to others instruments cause u can create so many textures and the range is so extensive-the trumpet/violin/guitar never really had any of that 4 me.

karoooh

HSC
I've never been tested either and stopped playing bout half-way through Year 9 - So about 1.5 years. Now I just play any piece that I feel like, whether it be classical, a score or theme song.

It's quite fun. :eek:

I kind of wish I stayed on with the lessons, so it'd make learning by myself easier, by whatever! I feel very accomplished after I'm able to play the whole piece properly.

I teach myself the guitar as well when I can be bothered and when I can get help off my older sister or younger brother. And I also want to get back to the violin. This is probably the instrument I've spent the least amount of time on learning and practicing, cos IMO, the piano's the easiest (out of these 3 instruments).

poopoohead

HSC
hey i play piano, and did the exams, but i stopped getting lessons and doin the exams during yr 11. I got up to 6th grade. i found that it was a good way to relax during the HSC. for a study break, i would go down and play something. i really enjoy it. i enjoy it so much that ive decided to take lessons again and try and do 6th grade this year. i imagine im really scratchy tho. o well.

jest

HSC
i used to take piano lessons in year 7 but then i stopped before starting year11. now when i've got free time, i'm learning songs that i like on my own so i can play them for fun

kony

HSC
angelo-von-drez said:
Piano, piano, piano.
How I do love thee.
You relax me with your keys
You relax me with your strings
But when I touch you're pedals you always seem to scream
Oh Piano, piano, piano
How I do love thee.

I am an avid fan of pianos, melodikers, synths, elecs, moogs, and accordions. Anything key based.

I play alot of middle eastern pieces, Klezma, Tangos, Flamenco Piano, Jazz and anything weird. I love Tom Waits. Any Tom Waits fans out there?

PS - La Campenella by Liszt would have to be about grade 7 or 8. One of the highest.
nah it's up there with the highest diploma levels. much higher than 8th grade at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)