Piano as a hobby... (1 Viewer)

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
Does anyone here play piano just for the fun of it? I played for a year in Yr 8, but stopped for 3 years. Somehow, my interest in piano got reignited and so i just learn various pieces by my self when I have the time.

Anyone else here in the same circumstances?

I have never taken a test, ever. So I have no idea what grade I'm upto. :O

However, I am attempting to play Liszt's La Campanella, and have just mastered the first movement with the 1 1/2 octave jumps... has anyone finished the piece and would like to share some tips?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol yeah i play purely for fun. i taught myself, ive never had lessons or anything. well, ok i lie, in year 6 every friday i had 'lessons' in some van with some guy called roger. HAHAHAH that sounds so seedy. but yeah, i dont even have a piano :( just a keyboard. i learnt everything i know from pre programmed pieces in the keyboard that teach with light up keys LOL. but i can just barely read sheet music, which is how i learnt all of deltas songs. they are great frun to play, especially Will you fall for me, and Predictable.

i have no idea what piece you are trying to learn, i cant even pronounce that. but good luck!

=candii=

HSC
i love playing piano! ahaha ive neva taken a test either
i started when i was little actually....then started taking lessons for a couple of years in primary school....i performed this little piece in front of the whole school in lyk yr 4! hahaha ugh how embarassing =P
i stopped taking lessons after i reached grade six ....now i just play random songs lyk delta, alicia keys, etc whenever i feel lyk it....not sure what grade they would fit into though
its really relaxingg when i feel stressed out as well....cant wait til hsc finishes....imma spend hours playing piano everyday ^^

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
yea, i mostly just play classical. Chopin, Liszt and Mozart, not any modern songs, besides Richard Clayderman's / Paul de Senneville's pieces.

Raikiri

HSC
I started taking lessons last year so I could learn for fun :D I just enjoy playing my Anime/Gaming music.

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
yeah, well Anime music is a........well, valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands unvivified and is venally, virulent in this vivavious world of vivid pieces.... in other words, they....... suck. Although the FFantasy pieces are pretty good.... but Pokemon?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
unless you're aiming to become a pro pianist it's surely just a hobby :p

I haven't played since Y11 =/

CieL

HSC
I started playing the piano since I was 4yrs old.. cos the babysitter was a pianist and somehow my mum got me involved.. I hated it, hated the exams, hated having to play everyday... so I stopped in yr9... then I got the itches and found random piano scores and tried to master those... But it only lasted one yr.. I still remember how to play random songs up the top of my head and my scales n crap... but I haven't touched the keys in around 2yrs I rkn..

=candii=

HSC
mm yeh when i had lessons n stuff i started to get reallly bored of playing pianoo. i stopped for a while but then missed playing so now im bak...without lessons though...
i guess when your forced to play it, it sorta takes the fun outta playing piano

white lady

No Motivation Whatsoever
HSC
I find the piano so relaxing to play and the piano at home has such a nice tune. (Don't mean to bragg)

Raikiri

HSC
hyparzero said:
yeah, well Anime music is a........well, valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands unvivified and is venally, virulent in this vivavious world of vivid pieces.... in other words, they....... suck. Although the FFantasy pieces are pretty good.... but Pokemon?
They don't suck :p It's just like when your watching a movie or TV show or whatever and you hear a piano piece in the background and you like it and think it would be fun to play.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
white lady said:
I find the piano so relaxing to play and the piano at home has such a nice tune. (Don't mean to bragg)
you have a very hot signature.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
hyparzero said:
...poke...mon?/ music??? on piano? wow hahhaaha
hey that would be interesting to play. but no

there are heaps of really nice anime music out there :)

i mainly play anime and gaming music too.
although yes. ff have way better arrangements because they're actually done professionally by the company, whereas anime music is usually arranged and transcribed by fans which Do Turn out pretty well sometimes.

are you saying joe hisaishi ...is.. crap? :O

But um, if you haven't actcually watched anime or heard some of the 'music' then well, please dont judge it as it is with those on TV (cough) pokemon.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Got up to Grade 2 piano in year 5, then stopped. Been playing for kicks ever since.

I like anime music as well! The jazz pieces from Cowboy Bebop are nice. Final Fantasy, Evangelion and others i can play too. And i play well. Once i played a piece at some school, and these girls came up to me, asking what grade i was. When i said "Grade 2", they were bug-eyed, then asked if i was AMEB or something. Nope.

My cousin says i play at grade 7-8 level.

H

hilaryv

Yeah, I play for leisure, I do have lessons, but my teacher is awesome and so I just pick out different pieces to learn how to play, I agree with what other have said, it is really relaxing!

Bendent

HSC
Yeah i passed grade 5 and 8 and haven't played since year 6. Now after the HSC and all i'm starting to play again just for fun, but will probably do diploma or something in the future.

Yeah i love piano it's such a babe hobby...

kony

HSC
haha La Campanella..

with a lot of dedication a normal person can hope to play it at an okay standard after probably 10 years. i mean.. learning the piece itself would take one year not to mention all the other years building the technique and maturity needed for such a massive thing.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i used to play just for the hell of it...i took lessons for a little while but i got bored because i was too impatient, she kept making me do scales and stuff and yeah i know you need to know that sort of thing but i racked off after a year and just learnt things myself. i could play some bach stuff and that beethoven song, what is it, fur elise or something.
but i havent played in about 6 years :eek: oh well.

Nesty

Proud TB =)
HSC
havn't touched my lovely piano in about... a year. whatever. it's good sometimes when you needa think and shit. help me clear thoughts. but yeah. if my parents wouldn't make such a fuss when i do tap the keys once in a while then i would be sitting there everyday

Spon888

HSC
I noticed only 2 guys have posted here, I'll make that 3.

I never had the coordination/moves for anything greater than Grade 7, so now I'm into all the tunes I use to grow up with. Anything that I recognise - Includes everything from Games (mainly the nintendo genre), Well known songs (esp those with a predominant piano tune - the likes of Billy Joel, Vanessa Carlton), Nursery rhymes/childrens songs.

I've know 4 people who are Amus+ or greater, and they are the purists of the piano. But i'll just stick to what I know, and show em up with a Chopsticks showdown :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)