Physics with extension 2? (1 Viewer)

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering is it really a lot easier to do Physics with Extension 2 Maths as they overlap, or is it still alright to do Biology with Extension 2 Maths?

I'm really confused. Or should i just do the three science with extension 2 Maths with Advanced English?

Thanks guys in advance. :haha:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You should seriously consider which subjects you like, physics doesn't really overlap that much with extension 2 maths at all, you need to be very strong at maths to do maths extension 2, physics actually involves a small amount of calculations and a lot of evaluation/analysis. Make sure you don't only consider scaling, but really have a serious think about what subjects you are good at. So no, it is not easier to do physics with extension two maths, and it is definitely not easier to do extension two maths with physics-grab a few textbooks and flick through them and you will see what I mean.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Um tbh, a lot of the physics in year 12 is designed to be done with general maths, so although there could be some conceptual overlaps, the content would be different.
It is alright to do bio with MX2, I know a lot of people in my cohort do MX2 + bio and without physics.

Do the subjects you want to do. Check out the syllabuses online to go through the course content and if you find it interesting or not.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
yeah they're two completely different subjects. But there's motion in Mathematics which requires F=ma, so maybe that's overlapping. But no it's not gonna be like hardcore on Physics or vice versa. It may make you understand the topic "Motion" better though :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
if you plan to do physics at university; make sure you can do 4U mechanics and other stuff like complex and poly's will help with maths

HSC
Physics and MX2 have really little in common. There are 3 assessable components to NSW BOS Physics; mathematical problems, written responses on content, written responses on experiments.

If you choose to do physics to supplement Mx2, you're going to be very dissappointed as you don't learn any higher order mathematics in hsc physics. With that said, if you do Mx2, you will probably ace the mathematics questions of physics exams, but even then I have friends who only did 2U and managed to do really well in physics, because so much of the exam is how you express your answer and understanding physics concepts.

In agreement with everybody above, choose a subject you'll enjoy/be good at. So choose bio if you enjoy/are good at it.

P.S Physics in Uni involves understanding high school physics concepts but requires a good understanding of math (something you dont learn in high school physics)

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
In MX2 mechanics, it does help to have previous understanding of a few physics principles, but it's nothing you can't pick up without actually doing HSC physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)