Physics via Distance Education (not really) (1 Viewer)

nessarhino

HSC
Hi there.

I'm in year 10 at the moment and I've received my subjects for Prelim 09 back from the school.

I've had to choose between Economics and Physics and I can't choose between them. I've been thinking about choosing Economics and doing Physics via correspondence even though there is a class at my school but just different lines clashing.

I was wondering on your opinion if doing Physics via correspondence would be a good idea or not.

S

Sunnykoala

distance ed for physics is a bad idea...... from personal experience i didnt like distance ed.. i did IPT in yr11 thru distance and got sick of it and dropped it... coz u dont get support u hav to do it all on ur own and u dont feel motivated... and plus physics is hard to do all on ur own... so if i were u i'd choose economics instead... or if u really wanna do physics do it at ur school, not through distance... and anyways u cant do a subject thru distance if its available at ur school... they dont consider subject/ time table clashes to be a valid excuse for being accepted at distance ed. it sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

anonsuomy

HSC
I'm doing all my subjects through OTEN, which is the part of TAFE that offers courses, including the HSC course, through distance education. You dont need to give any reason to enrol with OTEN, so you can definitely do any subject through it, regardless of it being offered at your school.

One of my subjects is Physics, and the notes (OTEN provides material in the form of loose leaf papers that can be stored in binder folders) for it are very detailed and explanatory. In fact, the notes for all my subjects are good, even for subjects as hard as Maths Extension. My brother was always surprised how I knew maths topics which baffled the students in his class. Once he saw my notes, he conceded that they were better than his teacher. That being said, paper and ink can never be as good as a living talking teacher whom you can question at will.

Anyway, I would recommend distance education to anyone with a reasonable amount of motivation and self-control (I had neither). You might be better off doing Physics at school and Eco through distance. I dunno, I dont do Eco, but ask around from someone who does both and see what they think.

XFatimaX

HSC
if u think that if u are an independent student and u can teach urself things..then distance ed is good..

ill be doing distance ed for bio.. (lines clashing same as ur case)

duno tho i think physics is a hard subject.. my advice is try physics with distance Ed.. and if u find it hard or something then do private tutoring.. or drop it in yr 12 and pick up something elsee.. :D

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Hi, I do both economics and physics so here is my perspective:
Physics, for me at least, is harder to learn by yourself. The textbooks do not meet the syllabus too well and a teacher is often needed to clarify things for the class. Economics, in my case at least, is quite straight forward. If you can't choose between the two, do eco by correspondence and physics at school. You can learn everything in eco through the textbooks and you can get nearly all the information through the net anyway.

k, wish you well =].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)