Physics Help (1 Viewer)

Kabbasi

HSC
Hi everyone. So here's the thing. I've gotten through my first term of HSC and realised - I am totally confused about Physics. :sleep: (That's how i look when i'm confused except i'm not asleep, but i do have Z leprechauns flying around my head). I'd kept it because it was better than keeping Chemistry and it looked promising in the Prelim Year. Now it's just going downhill and i read the textbooks and summarise but it just goes over my head. Is there any knack to getting a good mark in physics, i.e. any good resources, tips? I would appreciate anyone's help, and I'm sure that others experiencing this problem would appreciate it too. I guess its because i don't really know what i'm meant to be learning that the course seems too vague to me.

Thankyou all!

T

Testpilot

Try speaking to your teacher, peers etc. They may help. Also summarise under the syllabus dot points so you can see exactly what you are meant to be learning and what you have learned.

rama_v

HSC
Understand the concepts of physics, this is a key to success. Ensure you understand all of prelim work as well, if there is anything you don't understand then you can ask your teacher or post up your query on this forum. Keep up to date with your summaries. Read a variety of textbooks (not just HSC physics books, but other relevant books too).

Kabbasi

HSC
Testpilot said:
Try speaking to your teacher, peers etc. They may help. Also summarise under the syllabus dot points so you can see exactly what you are meant to be learning and what you have learned.
My teacher just stares at me like I'm crazy and tells me to reread the textbook. And he likes telling stories during lessons, and he writes all the syllabus stuff on the board for us to copy down but doesn't actually teach it. I've got a summarised dot point set of the syllabus that i wrote up myself but then i get a practice assessment and the questions don't seem to compute with what is under the dot points.

But thankyou. I'll keep pestering my teacher. :santa: . That's me saying thankyou if i had a beard and wore a red hat.

T

Testpilot

If some of your classmates understand the physics course, offer to become a 'studdy buddy' where they help you with physics and you help them with a subject you are good at (and they are bad at).

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Hey Kabbasi,

Oh I wish I were your Physics teacher. I love teaching/tutoring physics to those who think they are physics-ally challenged.

OK, tips for getting through Physics.

Live and breathe your formula sheet. Get the formula sheet from the HSC exam (you can either get that from your teacher or a past paper book or the real Board of Studies website past exams). Know what each of the formulae are for, what each of the letters mean and how they fit into the equation and the theory behind each. When you do a number question, write out all data first. This will help you choose the correct equation. Also, think about key words. What key words does each formula link to? eg if the question says time dilation, immediately go to the relativity type equations.

Then, get past papers and as you do a section of the course do the section of the past paper that corresponds. (Make sure you have answers and marking criteria - I think they are also on Board of Studies.) If they are multiple choice questions, write it out like it is a full answer question.

Make sure you fully understand all the dot points. Be able to argue the sections that say "Discuss" or "Compare".

And certainly find someone in your class who better understands and get them to help you. It will help them in the long run too, because they will need to completely understand it to help you.

And then there is here. Put up questions and anything you don't understand and you have a few people on tap to help :D for free!

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)