• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Physics - Dilation Question? (1 Viewer)

Zokunu

HSC
Hal is undertaking a return trip to Procyon (a nearby star), which is 11.4 light years away to
drop off some Cargo.
He plans on travelling at a speed of 0.7c (where c is the speed of light, 3 x 108m.s-1).

(a) Discuss the difficulty of obtaining this speed with current technology.
(b) Determine how much time Hal’s mother Beverley would have experienced while he was
away (assume that Hal’s space craft can achieve its maximum velocity very quickly and
that he does not spend any significant time on Procyon).
(c) Determine how much time Hal would have experienced whilst on his return trip.

B and C pls. Thank you. StepbyStep if possible :)

Zokunu

HSC
Somebody pls. Correct me if im wrong. But i think the wording of the question is a bit unclear. I guess im not supposed to use the time-dilation equation/calc? Is it:

b) 11.4x2/0.7 = 32.6 years?

c) 32.6 x 1/2 = 16.3 years?

I think this is wrong, but still. Littlehelp?

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Somebody pls. Correct me if im wrong. But i think the wording of the question is a bit unclear. I guess im not supposed to use the time-dilation equation/calc? Is it:

b) 11.4x2/0.7 = 32.6 years?

c) 32.6 x 1/2 = 16.3 years?

I think this is wrong, but still. Littlehelp?
You use the time dilation equation.

Remember that a light year is a measure of distance so you must convert into time. s=d/t so t=d/s. This is 11.4/0.7 which gives 16.29 years which is your answer for c.

For b) you just substitute into the equation, which gives me 22.8 years. I substituted proper time as 16.29

Zokunu

HSC
You use the time dilation equation.

Remember that a light year is a measure of distance so you must convert into time. s=d/t so t=d/s. This is 11.4/0.7 which gives 16.29 years which is your answer for c.

For b) you just substitute into the equation, which gives me 22.8 years. I substituted proper time as 16.29
Thank you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)