Physics Depth Study On Collisions (1 Viewer)

Melonn123

HSC
Hi there!
I recently got my physics depth study and I've chosen to research about two dimensional collisions. If anyone has done an experiment or have any tips on this topic please help :))

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I’ve been trying to remember the details of my eldest‘s study. She did this six years ago.

I did buy her a couple of 1metre steel rulers (set up on our flat dinner table), so that the velocity of the objects, before & after the collision, could be calculated from the distances each object covered in the time segments, measured by a stopwatch app on a large iPad, captured on video, by a second iPad. The edge of the ruler helped to keep the objects rolling in a straight line, but there is some loss of energy from friction (which is present between the object and the table surface anyway, so should be estimated & discussed).

She used objects of different masses to show how conservation of momentum caused smaller objects to travel at higher velocity after the collision. She tried different sized drink cans - 375mL, 250mL, 200 mL and empty cans (their cylindrical shape make them relatively easy to roll) and different sized marbles. Experimental designs often involve trial & error.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)