Physics Band 6 (1 Viewer)

kman16

HSC
Hey guys,
I am currently in my HSC year and the subjects i do are in my sig.
In physics i got 90% in an assignment but only 75% in my half yearlys (which are worth like 30%). Tomorrow are my trials and i am so unprepared due to MX2 that i dont see myself getting more than 80%. 80% is optimistic!
My question is this: If i do well in the HSC itself, like actually really prepare for it.. what chances do i have of getting a band 6? Will my low assessment marks weigh me down too much?
I should also add that there are only 5 kids in my physics class and im ranked first and probably will stay as first

Cheers

TheBloop

HSC
If you stay as first it doesn't matter.

You'll get your HSC exam mark for your HSC mark unless someone does better than you in which case you'll get the average of your exam mark and that better exam mark.

Win at life.

habitres

HSC
If you are ranked first assessment mark does matter (as far as I know) The final mark will be 50% your hsc mark (assuming you get band 6 :D) and 50% the relative other person's hsc mark dependant on your ranking. In this sense, as long as you don't loose your ranking, your final mark should be your hsc mark. Let say you get hsc mark of 96% (96/2)*2 (due to 1st ranking) =96%

When the hsc people came they said its not your mark, its your RANK.

kman16

HSC
Well Im pretty sure il keep my first rank, but when they look at my internal assessments will they look at the mark or just the rank?
if its the rank then i might be able to clutch the band 6 :p

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Fairly sure it is only rank. The whole way how they put 'assessment mark' isn't really 'true'.
This isn't true. Schools submit a mark and the mark is used to determine "relative gaps" between candidates - these gaps are then used to determine their moderated internal mark.

Sindivyn

HSC
This isn't true. Schools submit a mark and the mark is used to determine "relative gaps" between candidates - these gaps are then used to determine their moderated internal mark.
Yeah, but first place always gets the highest mark regardless.

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
that's bull i swear
some ppl say 70% is band 6 in chem like WTF
never rely on scaling, just do your best.
i think scaling also depends on the difficulty of the paper in that year, idk?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but first place always gets the highest mark regardless.
That has nothing to do with what I was saying - I was addressing how habitres said that the marks submitted don't matter.

Raw mark B6 in Chemistry is about 72-73 depending on the year and in Physics is about 76-77 depending on the year.

never rely on scaling, just do your best.
i think scaling also depends on the difficulty of the paper in that year, idk?
Easy exams will have a tendency to have a slightly higher cut off for B6 - this means that it will align poorer. Difficulty of the exam paper doesn't make a difference to scaling.

U MAD BRO

HSC
N/A
That has nothing to do with what I was saying - I was addressing how habitres said that the marks submitted don't matter.

Raw mark B6 in Chemistry is about 72-73 depending on the year and in Physics is about 76-77 depending on the year.

Easy exams will have a tendency to have a slightly higher cut off for B6 - this means that it will align poorer. Difficulty of the exam paper doesn't make a difference to scaling.
so if the difficulty of the paper doesn't affect scaling, what does?

john-doe

HSC

r u serious??? that sounds so easy to me!

john-doe

HSC
getting a 90+ atar isn't that hard.
yeh but he is talkin about band 6 in phys, chem which i think scale to 97, 98 so u get an easy atar of 95+ (given that u do well in other subjects) which i thought was difficult

kman16

HSC
LOLWUT! 70's will get you a band 6!?! what is this madness 0.o

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Note: most schools marks very easily. A 90 raw in a comprehensive school sometimes is lower than a band 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)