Physics 1A or Higher Physics 1A (1 Viewer)

henry08

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure whether to do Physics 1A or higher Physics 1A. I will be doing Civil Engineering.

I got 83 in HSC Physics in 08 and also done Maths Ext 1.

I will be doing Math 1A (not higher).

Is it worth doing Higher Physics 1A and do many people do it or do most tend to do Physics 1A?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
higher is only for extra learning if you're bothered. normal level is fine.

but tbh with your experience i'd say stick to normal physics rahter than higher.

LordPc

HSC
ive heard that some higher courses have the exact same exams except that the normal course does, except that there are extra questions on the higher exam. so doing some higher courses gives you a shot at free marks

dunno if there is any truth to it though, someone on here might know

untouchablecuz

HSC
as an electrical engineering student, is higher phys/maths compulsory? (i'd just like confirmation)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
some. i know that the higher maths course does not, you get a completely different exam. i havent done higher physics so i dont know
Thanks, but Higher Physics is the course I'm contemplating on doing xD

Btw, I got something like 87 for Physics. Should I bother?

M@ster P

HSC
Thanks, but Higher Physics is the course I'm contemplating on doing xD

Btw, I got something like 87 for Physics. Should I bother?
People say uni physics is much more mathematical, so u should be relying more on your maths marks and less on your physics

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeah uni physics is all math.

might as well call it math tbh

Ostentatious

HSC
OK, so my combined score in 2U and 3U is around 135. Does that change anything?

M@ster P

HSC
OK, so my combined score in 2U and 3U is around 135. Does that change anything?
ummm I got 138 2u and 3u mark but I'm still gonna do phys1121, up to you i guess, you can always drop down. I read somewhere u can drop down before the census date without any implications

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I chose Physics 1A cause I thought it be a better transition to Uni by doing easier courses.

Sokolov

HSC
N/A
If you did 2unit HSC maths, if you liked the Question 9's or 10's involving physical problems then you will like Physics.

it just says 3u is assumed knowledge... what mark did you get in that?
im pretty sure it said 2u mathematics is assumed in my first mechanics lecture notes.

differentiation
integration
graphs
exponentials
trigonometry
etc.

but thats just the tip of the iceberg.
but if you did ext. 1 or ext. 2 it would benefit even more.

Even the Physics topics in 3u such as Simple Harmonic Motion (x" = - ωx) and in 4u, Mechanics aren't even explicitly in HSC Physics because of their highly mathematical nature and are best explained using hsc maths.
They will return in First Year Physics.

I chose Physics 1A cause I thought it be a better transition to Uni by doing easier courses.
Both Physics 1A and Higher Physics 1A students learn the SAME topics in lectures, go to the SAME tutorials and SAME labs with each other.
The only difference is Higher Physics 1A students always gets more questions and likely harder questions in assessments.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Both Physics 1A and Higher Physics 1A students learn the SAME topics in lectures, go to the SAME tutorials and SAME labs with each other.
The only difference is Higher Physics 1A students always gets more questions and likely harder questions in assessments.
I'm going to do Higher Physics and while it is the same lecture, the tutorials are separate (and I'm not sure on the lab's).

Ostentatious

HSC
ummm I got 138 2u and 3u mark but I'm still gonna do phys1121, up to you i guess, you can always drop down. I read somewhere u can drop down before the census date without any implications
You can drop down, I confirmed at advisory day today. I also consulted with the School of Physics and they said my results are absolutely satisfactory, so if you ever change your mind... ;)

it just says 3u is assumed knowledge... what mark did you get in that?

Also, just for anyone who doesn't know or has heard of this as a rumour, Higher Physics students DO get special consideration because their exam is more difficult. Generally more D's and HD's are handed out to these students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)