Physics 1121/1131 (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
1121 =
Motion in a line and a plane. Oscillations. Motion of particles under the influence of mechanical, electrical, magnetic and gravitational forces. Rotational motion. Force, inertial mass, energy, momentum. Charge, potential, electric and magnetic fields. Capacitors, dielectrics. Electric current and circuits. Conservation principles applied to problems involving charge, energy and momentum.

1131 =
Vectors, kinematics, particle dynamics, work and energy, the conservation of energy, conservation of linear momentum, rotational kinematics and dynamics, simple harmonic motion, gravitation. Electrostatics, magnetostatics in vacuum, ferromagnetism, electromagnetic induction.

apart from those random words, can someone tell me more about these two?

edit: i don't think i have a choice to do physics 1121 according to the faculty websites, they only show Higher Physics 1A in their structure (while for mathematics, they say Higher Mathematics 1A OR Mathematics 1A) (This is for engineering btw)

Last edited:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
phys 1a and higher phys 1a are in the same lecture group i believe, and some of the exams are the same.

pretty sure you do higher phys 1a

locu64

HSC
N/A
Phys1131 and Phys1121 are in the same classes as said above but Phys1131 students do a harder test. Phys1131 should be fine for you to do, just be prepared to fail the first test. I did in spectacular fashion (23%!) but still passed the subject.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I think i read somewhere it depends on what HSC mark you got in physics as to what course you should do...may have been that if you got over 75 then higher physics was recommended

sunny

meh.
HSC
I remember the first 1131 exam I did the class average was 28%, or something around there that was ridiculously low.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC

so, if i just do more past papers i should get something GOOD right? :LD

sunny

meh.
HSC
ehhh....thats hard to say. I don't remember there were any class test papers.

The original assessment scheme for PHYS1131 was that you needed to have passed every component of the course to pass the course, but since the average in that test was so low many many people would have failed the course after the first class test. In that particular session of PHYS1131, they decided to change the pass criteria so that more people could actually pass.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
locu64 said:
Phys1131 and Phys1121 are in the same classes as said above but Phys1131 students do a harder test. Phys1131 should be fine for you to do, just be prepared to fail the first test. I did in spectacular fashion (23%!) but still passed the subject.
haha i only got 16 (out of 100, think phys1121 was only out of 80) in the mid session for h. phys 1a, still pased it thou

yeah surely if found they recycle at least 1, sometimes 2 questions from passed papers.
additionally you'll find they copy at least 2 questions from the mid-session, into the end of session exam, so get a copy of the worked answers from the mid-session (or bug newbury/wolfe/whoever lectures first half of session 1 phys)

and additionally again, they recycle least one question from the tutorial set, you probably wont attempt the tute questions, but get a copy of the worked solutions from internet and memorise r even better understand the solutions.

in first year phys you'll find that you can get 6+ marks for like a line explanation or really short algebric manipulation

and another thing, school of phys is pretty generous with trying to let you pass (not in settng easy exams thou), but i think marks of 46+ are elegible for PC depending on tutorial attendance/WAM and if you get 40-45 or something in there you can take the supplementary exam which is basicly another chance to pass the exam (AND some of the questions are repeated from the final exam (wolfie and newb are o lazy, you think they are going to make up 3 sets of exams for one session of a subject?)

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
If you are doing photonics eng/biomed or elec eng/biomed just enrol in 1131 regardless. It is of the same difficulties and 1131ers panic the same way as 1121ers.

null-result

HSC
dragonforcing a subject .. sounds about right

i bombed hard on the first test (49%)
BUT WAIT. 49% is not bad, you call out.
however, i only attended two labs total.
and did around three quizzes, which i failed hard.
this lowers my max mark by, what, 40% ? so my theoretical max is 60/100

cbf.

rock up to the finals, and still scored a disctinction. 75/100.
.. makes sense to you? a max of 60/100 and i still got 75/100 ?

theres a huge scaling factor of some sort, so even if you do le shit, you should still get a boost. ah well.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
null-result said:
dragonforcing a subject .. sounds about right

i bombed hard on the first test (49%)
BUT WAIT. 49% is not bad, you call out.
however, i only attended two labs total.
and did around three quizzes, which i failed hard.
this lowers my max mark by, what, 40% ? so my theoretical max is 60/100

cbf.

rock up to the finals, and still scored a disctinction. 75/100.
.. makes sense to you? a max of 60/100 and i still got 75/100 ?

theres a huge scaling factor of some sort, so even if you do le shit, you should still get a boost. ah well.
Whoa fucken hell.
What did I do wrong?
Did you do PHYS1121 or PHYS1131?

By the way, was it the Canadian guy the reason you don't come to labs? lol.
was he around when you were?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)