• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

physical journey assignment (1 Viewer)

sandra

HSC
Hey everyone
Got another assignment right after the holidays n i got no idea about what to do ..
basically we are supposed to write a speech to hsc students about benefits and chalenges of physical journeys.
We must talk about 2 peter skrzynecky poems
one text from the stimulus booklet and one related viewed text.

which poems should i choose ? which text from the stimulus booklet ? I was thinking of doing rabbit proof fence as the viewed text..
Does anyone have any info /analysis on any of the text or know where to find it ?? Were supposed to analyse the text techniques/features. Any general advice ??
Thx heaps !!

ESL FARMS

HSC
N/A
There is an excellent book put out by 'the learning curve' title: Physical journey available direct thru them or thru five senses at seven hills (sydney). barbara stanners has put out another set of books title 'journey' and 'Modules for standard english' these are excellent. also check out 'top notes: rabbit proof fence' and 'top notes skrzynecky'
website for rabbit proof fence: www.metromagazine.com.au/metro/studyguides/files/Rabbit-proofFence.pdf (put in the capitals where i have)
Road not taken poem from stimulus booklet is good if you want to discuss the idea of decision making being part of the journey,
the wind in the willows text from stim.bkt is good if you want to discuss the idea of forced /reluctant journeyer (which fits in nicely with rabbit PF)...HOWEVER.........
as you have to write about 2 of skrzynecky's poems it might be wise to get film related text that deals with immigrants/migration. for example 'loves brother or 'wog boy'. if you do 'the migrant hostel' for example you could zero in on the obstacles/challenges the migrants faced when coming to australia..
Skrz... tells us that many migrants faced obstacles and challenges when they arrived in Aust. he suggests that many migrants, while living in hostels, felt unwelcome and alienated so clung to people of the same nationality for support and companionship. he conveys this idea by using simile to describe the barrier at the main gate of the hostel, as 'like a finger pointed in reprimand or shame' separating the migrants from the world around them, preventing them from moving freely in and out of the hostel. He says this alienation made them cling to others that they 'recognised by accents' - 'instinctively' seeking each other out for support and companionship 'like homing pigeons'. He uses metaphors and personification effectively to create clear images of the migrants and the difficulties they faced at various stages of their journeys to Australia...then link this to similar concept in the film text..also link to 'road not taken' from stim bkt as carefull decision was made before embarking on journey...i think these are linked better and will be easier to write about than randomly selected physical journey texts..the books i mentioned at begining of this all have stuff on stimulus booklet too, as well as there being a 'top note' study guide on the stimulus booklet.
hope this helps

Last edited:

some_random

if you have notes on each of the poems, go through those notes and see which text appeals to you the most, and what you can write the most on.

I find that Crossing the Red Sea and Leaving Home
are very popular choices..

With the stimulous booklet, the only one i don't think i would recommend is the book cover..

sandra

HSC
Just wanted to say thank you esp to esl farm (?) you've helped heaps :) I think the assignment is really hard .. still.. but at least now i know what to start from.
thx again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)