• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Phys Journeys and Text 2 (1 Viewer)

angel_flick

HSC
hey ppl

first of all i think that it is so hard to relate some of the texts in the stimulus booklet to Physical Journeys, they all sort of relate to inner journeys more than anything, so ppl doing inner journeys i think your all lucky!

but i am having particular trouble with text 2- i believe that the cover itself does not represent a journey at all, but the story that goes with it does!

so how are we supposed to relate it to the area of study???

what does everyone think?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Welcome to BOS :)

I've already finished the HSC, and I did the old Area of Study (Change), but with this text, you should focus on both the visual and language techniques (textual).

"Trail"
"Not all journeys have an ending"

I don't know if this'll prove useful, but here it is anyway:
Jammie Hassan is fifteen years old and with the help of his very bizarre family, he will learn to channel, to step into the realms of the dead. Here he will follow the ivory trail, a pathway through the years signposted by an ancient ivory carving of an elephant. To reach his goal he must somehow piece together the complex puzzle of everything he experiences.

Taken from http://www.goldcreek.act.edu.au/yara/pages/reviews/re_releases/r_the_ivory_trail.htm
I enjoyed this book; I usually don't like this type of book, being sort of fantasy, and about finding yourself. It was extremely interesting, and developed the main character really well. The story is about a teenage boy who is part of a weird family, who "channel" with dead spirits and play out parts of these dead people's lives. The boy wants no part of it until his grandfather dies, and passes on an ivory carving which is the key to the ivory trail; a journey through the past through the eyes of long dead people. It takes him through the centuries all over the world. It follows the movements of this carving through different people owning it, through the years, all over the world.

The book had a very strong plot, even though it wasn't obvious at times. It was always interesting and exciting. The book had several subplots, as the main character lived the lives of the past. It was great to see him develop and change through the course of the book. He was almost unrecognisable at the end!

I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. It has a quick but descriptive orientation, and had the reader knowing exactly what was happening right from the beginning. Unlike some books, the middle was extremely interesting. Even before the problems were evident, it had lots of action. This book didn't have a problem and solution as such. It was more of a journey. The problems arose in the sub-plots, and these were solved pretty quickly. The main point of this journey is to find who or what is at the end of the trail. Or is there an end to the trail? You'll have to read it to find out.

Daniel, aged 12, Canberra, ACT

hot princess

HSC
hey listen an you tell me how do these all relate to the inner journey's rather then physical or imaginative journey's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)