Photoelectric effect and current (1 Viewer)

Mc Fadge

HSC
Now, I understand that increasing the frequency of light gives the electrons more kinetic energy, and I understand that increasing the intensity of light causes the release of more electrons.

Does this mean that both increasing the frequency and increasing the intensity will cause an increase in current?

I guess it's more a definition of current, which I assume is something like variable amount of electrons past a point in a certain amount of time (or vice versa). Both cases will provide this result.

So increasing either intensity or frequency will increase the current (rate of flow of electricity)?

helper

HSC
N/A
Are you talking about above or below threshold frequency?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Increasing intensity= increased current
Increasing frequency= Higher energy

Mc Fadge

HSC
Are you talking about above or below threshold frequency?
Above ofcourse :p

Increasing intensity= increased current
Increasing frequency= Higher energy
Higher energy = Faster speeds = more charge moving per second

So do they both increase current? To use the ever popular water-electricity analogy:

Say 2 tubes have a flow of 4L/s

One holds 4 L travelling at 1m/s

The other holds 2L travelling at 2m/s

In both tubes 4L will pass a point per second.

So yeah, I guess it comes down to the definition of electrical current? I just don't want to get a question and start of with, "Well, when you think about it..."

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hmmm, excellent question that would stump me in the exam.

If no one can answer it, i will after i've gone over the topic :)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Now, I understand that increasing the frequency of light gives the electrons more kinetic energy, and I understand that increasing the intensity of light causes the release of more electrons.

Does this mean that both increasing the frequency and increasing the intensity will cause an increase in current?

I guess it's more a definition of current, which I assume is something like variable amount of electrons past a point in a certain amount of time (or vice versa). Both cases will provide this result.

So increasing either intensity or frequency will increase the current (rate of flow of electricity)?
Yes,
increased frequency (assuming E>work function), increased current
increased intensity (again assuming E>work function), increased current until a maximum is reached for this frequency value
At least this is correct for the HSC in case someone is gonna attack me with university stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)