Phonons...? (1 Viewer)

patpat

HSC
In the "Discuss the BCS theory" dotpoint, is it necessary to talk about phonons as well as Cooper pairs? It's been mentioned in a few textbooks and ignored in others - some textbooks just explain the theory in terms of Cooper pairs and the temporary positive charge that is caused by the inward distortion of the lattice.

And how exactly do phonons work? I know they're sound packets but how they relate to how it pulls in the second electron leaves me confused.

Thanks in advance!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
The quantised version of visible electromagnetic radiation is a photon which is a particle of light, then the quantised version of sound waves (vibrations) is represented as a phonon which is a particle of sound.

The vibration (in the form of phonons) in a superconductor below its critical temperature actually assist in a Cooper pair's travel along the lattice.

twilight1412

HSC
a phonon is a quanta of acoustic energy this is emitted through the vibrations of the lattice as the lattice moves back to its ground state, the second electron absorbs its energy the speed up and catch up with the first and viola you have a cooper pair

Miroku

HSC
I thought Phonons increase the resistivity of conductors.

I thought when SC is cooled to below critical temp then, first electron travelling would distort the lattce towards it. Then second electron travelling behind the first electron would be pulled towards the first electron because of the concentrated positive charges pulled by the first electron. This force attaraction overcomes the repulsive force of the electrons and hence cooper pair is formed. After the electon pass by, then the lattice springs back releasing phonons. These energy released breaks up the cooper pairs and allows for new formation of cooper pairs.

This is what I thought. But how does phonons assist cooperpairs travel along the lattice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)