Phone went off during english advanced paper 2 trial… (1 Viewer)

abelsj01

HSC
basically i forgot to take my phone out of my pocket and the ringtone for a phone call went off even though my phone was on dnd mode

the teacher took it to the front and told me i’d have to get it back from the dean. i thought nothing of it and later found out that it could mean a zero for that which i didn’t previously know (my fault)

the dean told me she would have a meeting with the director of learning and the deputy principal to figure out what the outcome would be, and they’d let me know by monday next week.

this means that there’s a chance i won’t get a zero but what do u guys think???

if it helps,

i have a positive relationship with both the dean and the director of learning (the one with the deputy is sorta iffy)

am moderately high achieving across my subjects (average rank of 4-7 with average cohort size of 20-30)

a member of the SRC/prefect equivalent in my school

carrotsss

HSC
it is quite likely you’ll get a zero because technically you should, you pretty much just need to pray they don’t give you a zero

howcanibesmarter

HSC
It seems your situation is a rather unlucky one, but it could've been completely avoided.

I'm only talking based on similar experiences at my school, but bear in mind we are very strict on phone polices (we actually can't even use it on school grounds, otherwise it goes to the principal and our parents get called).

Prior to every exam, just before you go in, the teacher should give you a friendly reminder that all electronics, i.e. smartwatches, phones, etc are not permitted in the exam, and will request you either put them in your bag, or to give it to a teacher turned off. If it happens to go off during the middle of the exam, you will be awarded a zero, despite it not being in ur possession. As in, if you gave it to the teacher, and it rings midway, you still get a zero.

However, I feel like most schools are a bit more lenient than mine, so your situation might pan out differently. The only major issue I see is that it went off in your pocket, so the teacher has every right to give out consequences for it. I don't think a positive relationship will matter that much, because in the end if you break your school policy (not sure what it is for you, but at my school you definitely broke it), then corresponding penalties will be applicable.

That being said, there is a slight possibility that the higher ups view this as an unintentional mishap (which I'm sure it is), and may let you off with a warning. But for future events, you might not get so lucky.

abelsj01

HSC
It seems your situation is a rather unlucky one, but it could've been completely avoided.

I'm only talking based on similar experiences at my school, but bear in mind we are very strict on phone polices (we actually can't even use it on school grounds, otherwise it goes to the principal and our parents get called).

Prior to every exam, just before you go in, the teacher should give you a friendly reminder that all electronics, i.e. smartwatches, phones, etc are not permitted in the exam, and will request you either put them in your bag, or to give it to a teacher turned off. If it happens to go off during the middle of the exam, you will be awarded a zero, despite it not being in ur possession. As in, if you gave it to the teacher, and it rings midway, you still get a zero.

However, I feel like most schools are a bit more lenient than mine, so your situation might pan out differently. The only major issue I see is that it went off in your pocket, so the teacher has every right to give out consequences for it. I don't think a positive relationship will matter that much, because in the end if you break your school policy (not sure what it is for you, but at my school you definitely broke it), then corresponding penalties will be applicable.

That being said, there is a slight possibility that the higher ups view this as an unintentional mishap (which I'm sure it is), and may let you off with a warning. But for future events, you might not get so lucky.
yeah 100% could've been avoided...my school has similar punishments where if youre caught using a phone on campus it will be confiscated until your parents are notified

in regards to the higher ups possibly letting me off with a warning, is there any prescribed circumstance where a warning would be the policy instead of a straight zero? or is it js based on how lenient the teachers are?

Last edited:

abelsj01

HSC
Why did you bring your phone to the exam? Don't they explicitly tell you to keep phones in bags/hand it to the front when reading out exam instructions...?
yeah but i didnt realise that it would be a straight zero... i js thought that normal rules would apply where it would b confiscated until further notice hence i didn't worry too much about it

normally it would b on silent

howcanibesmarter

HSC
in regards to the higher ups possibly letting me off with a warning, is there any prescribed circumstance where a warning would be the policy instead of a straight zero? or is it js based on how lenient the teachers are?
the policy at my school (and probably most) is that if you are in possession of any electronics during the exam whether or not you intend to use it for cheating, it is considered a breach of examination protocol and will result in a 0 for that particular exam.

It should be a zero, but I know some teachers don't wanna ruin ur high school record just because you made a silly mistake. If you got caught cheating though, it will be for certain but this isn't the case.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
yeah but i didnt realise that it would be a straight zero... i js thought that normal rules would apply where it would b confiscated until further notice hence i didn't worry too much about it

normally it would b on silent
The normal rule is that you will be awarded zero for that exam...

howcanibesmarter

HSC
no as in normal rules that would apply if it were another internal assessment meaning the phone would jus get confiscated
i don't quite get what you mean by "another internal assessment"...

As long as its an exam, the phone would get confiscated, and then you will get awarded a 0 mark for that test.

HSC
ok, not to be rude but that is like the biggest mistake a kid could make in their high school life. Though i do feel like this could have been avoided, i usually just put my phone in my bag and leave it there until the end. To avoid this for next time i recommend before entering the exam hall check if you are wearing a watch or other gadget ect ect. good luck.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
ok, not to be rude but that is like the biggest mistake a kid could make in their high school life. Though i do feel like this could have been avoided, i usually just put my phone in my bag and leave it there until the end. To avoid this for next time i recommend before entering the exam hall check if you are wearing a watch or other gadget ect ect. good luck.
i always leave my phone in my pocket and i cant feel it so like it makes sense if u forget its in ur pocket

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)