philosophy in macq for 1st yr students (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
is it hard?

is it enjoyable?

please ppl i need some advice from ppl who did it,
i have to choose my electives tomorrow; there is critical thinking and intro to formal logic; which one is better?

this is for communications btw

The Nick

McBain
HSC
Critical Thinking will be really easy if you know how to structure an argument. Otherwise read all the material and it will be really easy.

Metaphysics in second semester is a little more diffcult because of the essay writing involved. Quite interesting though.

Also they tend to be a bit more relaxed with structure in philosophy compared to other first year courses, so don't stress too much.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PHIL134 - Introductory Formal Logic
PHIL137 - Critical Thinking

Are both of the Logic strain. Whichever you do (I think its done in the sequence of 137 then 134) it'll be similar.

PHIL132 is more based around Morals/Ethics side of philosophy strain.
PHIL131 is of the Metaphysics strain.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I have written a fair few times about bothe 137 and 134 in previous threads, as this is a pretty common question (cant find it, but the thread had the assessment make-up and general stuff about 134 and 137)..

Whether you will find philosophy easy depends. Its definitely not an 'englishy' subject, so dont fear if your not good at english. with 134 you may have an advantage if your good with maths, as you need to derive formulas in a weird language, but other than that its hard to tell whether you will find philosophy easy or not without first trying it. I found 137 and 134 to be great units, but my friend absolutely hated 137.

**blu_rose**

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I have written a fair few times about bothe 137 and 134 in previous threads, as this is a pretty common question (cant find it, but the thread had the assessment make-up and general stuff about 134 and 137)..

Whether you will find philosophy easy depends. Its definitely not an 'englishy' subject, so dont fear if your not good at english. with 134 you may have an advantage if your good with maths, as you need to derive formulas in a weird language, but other than that its hard to tell whether you will find philosophy easy or not without first trying it. I found 137 and 134 to be great units, but my friend absolutely hated 137.
oh, well thats a turnoff, cuz i am definitely not a maths person
so what would u recommend for me, when i hate maths and am more of a english person..134 or 137 or neither.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
**blu_rose** said:
oh, well thats a turnoff, cuz i am definitely not a maths person
so what would u recommend for me, when i hate maths and am more of a english person..134 or 137 or neither.
most likely 137. You may not actually need to like/be good at maths to like 134 or 137. Its just that 134 reminded me of maths in how everything fits together when you derives stuff in 134.

HSC
I cant choose between

SOC175 or PHIL137 ..... something with less essay writting as im already doing POL167 which definately means essays LOL...

so out of the two SOC175 and PHIL137.. which is less essay writing and less challenging.. with no maths involved as i suck at it hehehe and which would you find more interesting as well as go more with my international business degree

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
SOC = Essays
PHIL 137 shouldn't require too many essays.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
SOC = Essays
PHIL 137 shouldn't require too many essays.
Phil137 will really bite you if you don't constantly revise, as well -- as you move on with the course, everything builds up.

HSC
i really need to revise how to do essays, i havent written one in a year... should i buy a book on how to write essays? or should i attend a uni thing on essay crap ...

^___^
HSC
little-rat-boi said:
i really need to revise how to do essays, i havent written one in a year... should i buy a book on how to write essays? or should i attend a uni thing on essay crap ...
go to centre of open education

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its near the back of X5B theatre and the W6A back entry (near the carparks)

If you head towards the X5B theatre, and go up the back way, you'll have the choice of a ramp going up and a ramp going down. Its basically on the left before you go up/down the ramps :)

JAMAYA.P

HSC
hey i was wondering if anybody could give me any info on the course

BA in media and cultural Studies???

looking to enrol at Macq. in 2009 and would really like to do something in radio and drama

Please HELP!

ciao

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Might want to start another topic, rather than reply to this, since its not really in your degree? :)

As for Radio units, you can start http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2008&unitCode=MAS223 as soon as you complete 12 credit points (equivalent to about 4 subjects or one semester in first year).

For drama, I don't think we have that many actual units, someone better informed about this might be able to help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)