Philosophy, Ethics and Theology (1 Viewer)

HSC
I wanna go ND next next year but im not religious in any way, and I was just wondering what the philosophy, theology and ethics classes were like for the non religious ppl... i find religion as a topic interesting but im really not interested in people trying to convert me in weekly classes.

0Jade0

HSC
I'm an atheist and I've never felt like lecturers were trying to convert me or even felt preachy. The lectures and tutes are pretty straight forward. You don't have to believe to understand or get good marks.

kokoro86

HSC
i have been at the uni for 3 years now, i am non religious, and have passed both philosophy and ethics, i have yet to complete theology, its very straightforward though, just so long as you attend lectures and tutes, you will pass... the courses are designed to let you pass, not fail.... dont worry about not being religious, spend time at the pool tables in the common room and you will find the non religious side of the uni...

HSC
In response to my own question- since I am now finishing semester 1, of my first year.
The religion underpins some of the uni. Some of the lecturers and tutors are very spiritual, and feel that by teaching at ND they are fulfillng their spiritual needs, however, I do not feel that religion is pushed upon me.

I dont feel comfortable admitting to some of my friends that Im not catholic, but thats more of a me thing, than the uni itself. I havent done theology yet, but I hear that even athiests speak out in those classes. That makes me excited to go and do it- even though I know I can never unconvince them from their religious beliefs, and I wouldnt want to, if it helps them.

enoilgam

HSC
In 2012, the uni phased out the philosophy/ethics/theology classes and introduced the LOGOS program. Basically, the program is divided into three separate units which roughly correspond to the old system. However, you pretty much have free reign to choose which classes you do on a weekly basis. For each unit, you need to do one compulsory class, the set assessment (1500 words) and your choice of 7 other classes (each of which have a non-graded in class assessment). You do have to choose at least 5 theology based classes over the course of the three units, but overall you are free to pick what you want. The classes go something like this:

LOGOS I: Compulsory class, 1500 word essay, 7 classes of your choice.
LOGOS II: Compulsory class, 1500 case study, 7 classes of your choice.
LOGOS III: Two compulsory classes, 1500 portfolio, 6 classes of your choice.

Across each of these three units, at least 5 theology units must be completed. The task for LOGOS III is kind of religious (not specific to Christianity), but to be honest, you can centre it around atheist beliefs.

As I've mentioned before, religion really isnt a part of campus life unless you study theology as a degree. You do get emails spruiking religious events at the uni, but all are entirely optional (as is the pre-graduation mass). I would not let religion stop me from going to Notre Dame because it really is a non-issue.

That being said, there was one lecturer who took many theology modules for LOGOS who was heavily influenced by his Catholic beliefs. I kind of found it annoying because he was very pushy with his beliefs which were really opinion based. Usually, most theology lecturers present the content in an objective manner i.e. "Christians/Catholics believe this..." whereas he sort of projected it as fact i.e. "This is how it is...". I kind of found that to be poor form, because it is supposed to be an objective view into the topic of theology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)