loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Anything by Nietzsche.

Animal Farm by Orwell.

Plato's The Republic.

Anything on the Epicureans.

Something by Cicero.

There's a start, I would suggest a guide to philosophies and philosophers also.

phatic

HSC
Definately Nietzsche. Try some Wittgenstein and Heidegger too, and perhaps something of Sartre... But first and foremost Nietzsche.

What sort of philosophy in particular are you interested in?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You have to understand that these philosophers are not correct. They may not be wrong, either, but don't automatically assume their words to be gospel.

Some you will straight out disagree with, perhaps.

Lainee

HSC
I highly recommend:
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaardner

The back cover says:
"Looking in her mailbox one day, a fourteen-year-old Norwegian schoolgirl called Sophie Amundsen finds two surprising pieces of paper. On them are written the questions: 'Who are you?' and 'Where does the world come from?'

The writer is an enigmatic philosopher called Albert Knox, and his two teasing questions are the beginning of an extraordinary tour through the history of Western Philosophy from the pre-Socratics to Sartre. In a series of brilliantly entertaining letters, and then in person, Albert Knox opens Sophie's enquiring mind to the fundamental questions that philosophers have been asking since the dawn of civilisation."

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Girlosophy: A Soul Survival Kit
Girlosophy: The Love Survival Kit
Girlosophy: The Oracle
Girlosophy: The Break-Up Kit (i think???)
Girlosophy: Real Girls Stories

all by Anthea Paul.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
Girlosophy: A Soul Survival Kit
Girlosophy: The Love Survival Kit
Girlosophy: The Oracle
Girlosophy: The Break-Up Kit (i think???)
Girlosophy: Real Girls Stories

all by Anthea Paul.
Thankyou for significantly lowering the intelligence of this thread. Now run back to NS to discuss anal lube and vaginal wort medication.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i dont talk about anal lube and vaginal wort medicine.

philosophical books were asked for, a gave some titles.
there just more girl based.

Ninga

HSC
I'm currently trying to read The Art of War by Sun-Tzu. Looks interesting, holds lessons that could be applied to all parts of life, not only war. Don't know if i could recommend it yet, seeing as i've just started reading it, but its interesting.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Slide Rule said:
You have to understand that these philosophers are not correct. They may not be wrong, either, but don't automatically assume their words to be gospel.
You should also never assume their words to be false. Philosophy is like food for the brain, and yes it is often junkfood.

Kierkegaard

HSC
Read Quine.

I quine quining quines. Quine the quine in the quining. No epistemology has ever been so flawless as Quine's.

Who here has read Sartre's 'Being and Nothingness'?

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
phatic said:
What sort of philosophy in particular are you interested in?
Well, i dunno. I am doing a philosophy distinction course, so I wanted to get a leg up and start some independent reading...if there is anyone out there who has done the course, what reading do we do?
I just love philosophy in general i spose....

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
absolution* said:
Thankyou for significantly lowering the intelligence of this thread. Now run back to NS to discuss anal lube and vaginal wort medication.

Nah, thats cool. Just a different kinda philosophy i spose...thanks mmm_sofay, i will check them out...:D

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
demosthenes said:
Nah, thats cool. Just a different kinda philosophy i spose...thanks mmm_sofay, i will check them out...:D
there quiet good.
i havent read the break up one as i havent got as i dont often get in relationships where u break up.
and i havent read Real Girls Stories yet as i only just got it for christmas.
but i found the ones i have read somewhat insightful and philosophical in a way that made me think about things.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
mmm_sofay said:
there quiet good.
i havent read the break up one as i havent got as i dont often get in relationships where u break up.
and i havent read Real Girls Stories yet as i only just got it for christmas.
but i found the ones i have read somewhat insightful and philosophical in a way that made me think about things.
LOL.................... :D

phatic

HSC
demosthenes said:
Well, i dunno. I am doing a philosophy distinction course, so I wanted to get a leg up and start some independent reading...if there is anyone out there who has done the course, what reading do we do?
I just love philosophy in general i spose....
You might like to read a more general book then... I read "The Philosophers" or something like that when I first became interested in philosophy, and it was alright. It was basically a collection of essays on each of the prominent philosophers from Socrates to Sartre. The essays just basically outline the major ideas in their works. Some are quite hard to read if you're not philosophically minded to begin with (like me), and some are much easier. In any case it's a decent introduction, and by the end I was able to comprehend philosophy much better, and had an idea of whose works in particular I was interested in.

Hope you find what you're interested in. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)